Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1198
Like a Moth to the Flame
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This series is like a horrific car crash: you know you should just move on, but you can't help but stop and stare. The dialogue is atrocious, the pop culture references are abundant and cliche, the formula that each book follows is predictable and repetitive and the characters are annoyingly unbelievable. But, even knowing how bad they are, they are addictive. There's lots of drama and lots of suspense and that's what keeps me reading!

Unlike the its predecessors, Destined is quite tame in terms of both drama and action scenes; when I think about it, not much actually happens. Zoey still hasn't learned to control her mouth, so Neferet is able to both discredit and humiliate her when she questions that Aurox is a gift from Nyx, the re-enrollment of the evil red fledglings does nothing but cause a few nasty words to be thrown around, and the employment of humans unsettles people temporarily, but is a minor blip in everyday activities. It actually seems like Destined is mostly a set-up for the events which will take place in future books as much is left unfinished: Lenobia's obvious connection with Travis (I'm thinking he is a reincarnation of the human she fell in love with which swore her off of humans for the rest of her existence), Shaunne and Erin's un-twinning, Shaunee's comment about watching Zoey and keeping her mind open and alert, Kalona's ability to enter Stark's conscious and Zoey's belief that Heath is a part of Aurox.

I won't get in to how annoying Zoey's refusal to use real curse words is (bullpoop, really?), or how overdone Stevie Ray's Oklahoman accent comes across, or how often a label (I think they're shooting for an Apple endorsement - iPhone, iPad and Mac are all mentioned) or pop culture reference is dropped (at last count, I had 21 including True Blood and Game of Thrones) because it's the same issues that came up in previous House of Night novels. What I am going to comment on is Zoey's overuse of the phrase "ah, hell" which I'm almost positive was used to end almost every chapter, the creation of some really irritating words like "ginormic" and "gihugic", the incessant bickering which had me wanting to pull out my own teeth (because it would have been less painful) and the fact that there were ELEVEN different PoVs! All things which made me want to bash my head into a wall. Repeatedly.

Per House of Night formula, the entire book is creating conditions whereby Zoey and her "nerd herd" + Aphrodite must band together to perform a circle and invoke the elements. Much of the book is preparation for this invocation, and its only during the last 50 pages or so that the action really begins. And then of course there's a shocking twist and we're left with a cliffhanger segue way for the next instalment. Oh joy.

This book (series) does not deserve three stars. But there's a part of me that knows behind all the tackiness and bad writing, there's a really good, really entertaining story; there are moments of pure brilliance which remind me of the House of Night's potential . And unfortunately, I am drawn like a moth to the flame - I will keep reading this series. Shamefully. In a dark corner, where no one can see me.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the right...

Latest Member Reviews

How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Permanent Record

"In many ways, Permanent Record confused me, irritated me at times, maybe even angered me a little, but eventually wowed..."
Goodbye from Nowhere

"Kyle Baker loves the times he visits his extended family at the family farm. He brings his girlfriend Nadia with..."
Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe

"JUST A BOY AND A GIRL IN A LITTLE CANOE is a YA contemporary fiction that is primarily about character..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
The Last True Poets of the Sea

"THE LAST TRUE POETS OF THE SEA is a beautiful coming-of-age story. After her brother attempts suicide, he is sent..."
No Place Like Here

"When Ashlyn’s father goes to prison and her mother goes to rehab for depression, her world falls apart. Ashlyn’s father..."
No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE is an engaging and summery YA contemporary that emphasizes healing and friendship. Ashlyn is at the..."
No Place Like Here

"NO PLACE LIKE HERE by Christina June is a YA contemporary novel set in the Pennsylvania wilderness. Ashlyn, an admittedly..."
Hidden Pieces

"As of chapter one, Embry is a senior in high school, a girl feeling adrift as Christmas approaches, and the..."
Night Music

"NIGHT MUSIC is a beautiful YA coming-of-age/romance that brings classical music front and center. Ruby Chertok is the youngest of..."
The Geography of Lost Things

"THE GEOGRAPHY OF LOST THINGS by Jessica Brody is a YA contemporary novel that begins with Ali needing to sell..."
A Sky for Us Alone

"A SKY FOR US ALONE by Kristin Russell is a YA coming-of-age novel filled with mystery and heartache. It’s set..."
Mother Tongue

"As MOTHER TONGUE by Julie Mayhew begins, eighteen-year-old Darya envisions the bits of freedom she'll enjoy once her little sister,..."
Unstoppable Moses

"Feedback I am going to admit that I would have never picked up this book if I wasn’t provided a..."
Aesop Lake

"I loved this book. As a mom of a gay child, I was very happy to read a realistic story..."
Going Places

"GOING PLACES by Kathryn Berla is a coming-of-age novel that follows Hudson Wheeler through his senior year of high school...."
Hidden Pieces

"I loved Stokes’ Girl Against the Universe, and was very excited to hear she was coming out with another book!..."