Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2297
Apparently I'm a Masochistic, Because I Should Have Known Better
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

At first, I was not sure how I was going to feel about this book. The prologue (not called that, but I don't know what else to call the abbreviated first section) certainly grabbed my attention, but it also made me worry that this might not be a good book for me. Carmen does not come off as too smart or likable in this brief segment, but, when you finally catch up in time to this moment, you totally get why she was going crazy.

Once I got into the flow of the book and managed to somewhat calm down my intense curiosity to know the resolution of the opening scene, I got completely sucked into this book. I loved the focus on music, as well as the serious moral dilemmas that Carmen had to face. In some ways, it reminded me of Where She Went by Gayle Forman and, in it's lighter moments that focused on the rivalry and relationship of Carmen and Jeremy, of Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund.

The coming of age aspects of the story also rocked my socks. Carmen, though in some ways very mature, given that she's traveled the world and won a grammy and plays a 1.2 million dollar violin, is also, as her mom tells her, naive. Because of her virtuous status and tour schedule, she has been home schooled and has little experience interacting with others. This is partly why she has so much trouble understanding Jeremy and trusting his motivations. She is so used to being told what to do by her mother and her teacher that she really has to learn how to be herself. Of course, the fact that she was often drugged did not help. Carmen's drug addiction, whether mental or physical, was a scary thing, particularly as she had been encouraged in her dependency by people she should be able to trust.

I really loved reading this and rather hope that there might be another book on Carmen's adventure, as the ending totally makes it possible. This story was beautiful, heartbreaking and powerful. The cover's awesome too.

P.S. There was a reference to Amy Winehouse in here. I wonder if it will be in the finalized version or if it will be removed because it's too soon... The main characters mentioned her and said that they hoped she was in rehab. Unfortunately, she said "no, no, no."
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...

Latest Member Reviews

What I Want You to See

"WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE is an interesting book that discusses homelessness, choices and their intersection with privilege, as..."
Paint by Sticker Kids: Christmas

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: CHRISTMAS is a fun activity book for elementary-aged children (and maybe older toddlers). The book features..."
I'll Give You the Sun

"I’ll Give You the Sun is a masterpiece of the Young Adult genre, perfectly incorporating the feel of what it..."
It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way

"IT BEGAN WITH A PAGE brings us through the journey of Gyo Fujikawa, an incredible Japanese artist and author. Since..."
The Astronaut Who Painted the Moon: The True Story of Alan Bean

"THE ASTRONAUT WHO PAINTED THE MOON is the true story of Alan Bean, the fourth man to walk on the..."
Meet the Artist: JMW Turner

"J.M.W. Turner was a landscape painter and student of the Royal Academy of Arts in 1789. As a young teen..."
The Harlem Charade

"Jin's grandparents own a bodega in Harlem, and she likes to watch people from her out-of-the-way quiet nook and write..."
Blood Water Paint

"In 1600s Rome, Artemisia Gentileschi has few choices in life: she could be a nun, she could be ruled by..."
Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring

"Paloma Marquez has to spend the summer in Mexico City with her mother, who has gotten a fellowship to study..."
Louise Loves Bake Sales

"In this Level 1 "I Can Read" book, Louise and her brother Art decide to make and decorate cupcakes for..."
Silent Days, Silent Dreams

"Artist James Castle was born with many problems right before the turn of the last century. Raised on a farm,..."
Penguins Love Colors

" I could not be more obsessed with this book! I mean, just take a look at that cover and..."
Joplin, Wishing

"Joplin never knew her grandfather, the much celebrated author Martin Camrath, but when he passes away, there is a media..."
Invisible Emmie

"Emmie is not comfortable in middle school-- she has curly hair, is a late bloomer, and is artistic. She tries..."
Penguins Love Colors

"PENGUINS LOVE COLORS is such a bright colorful lovely story about six penguins who want to surprise their mother. They..."
Fan Art

"Sarah Tregay’s Fan Art is a hopeful and charming coming-of-age YA novel about the experiences of first love, coming out,..."

"Marcus writes interesting books about the history of children's literature; one of my favorites is Golden Legacy, about the impact..."
Watercolor Crush

"As an artist myself, I was thrilled to find such a wonderful book geared toward young girls. This is not..."
Framed! (Florian Bates #1)

"Florian Bates's parents are both connected to the art world, and they have just moved back to the US from..."
Pieces and Players

"I always love a Blue Balliett story and Pieces and Players does not disappoint. Calder, Petra, and Tommy are..."