Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1369
Satisfying Conclusion to an Enjoyable Series
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Despite having been somewhat disappointed with the Uglies series, mostly because I didn't care for the characters much, I have pretty much adored this series. In fact, I like them so much I've gotten both of my parents reading these books after me. Haha. Their complaint is that they get really tired of Westerfeld's invented slang, like 'bum-rag' and 'barking spiders,' the latter of which seems to particularly irritate. Personally, I find these things more amusing than annoying, but to each her own.

Anyway, Goliath is a good conclusion to the series, although the ending is a bit abrupt. Of course, to make the alternate version align with what happened in real life, he was somewhat constrained in what the ending of the tale could be. Westerfeld chooses to end, and I really don't see this as a spoiler, with the entry of the US into the conflict. Even though that is not, as I hope everyone well knows, not the end of the war, but it works because it puts a nice cap to the tale of our heroes.

Reasons to love The Leviathan Trilogy:

-Steampunkery!
-Fabricated creatures and crazy metal contraptions...they may not always make sense, but they're just so cool.
-Awesome art work, if you read the print version.
-Prefer audiobooks? That's almost better, because those are narrated by the incomparable Alan Cumming.
-You can learn a new vocabulary of swear words.
-The lorises, which are just the most awesome little creatures.
-A kickass female heroine, who's much stronger than the boy she loves.
-Crossdressing!
-A prince in disguise!
-Nikola Tesla as a mad scientist, in fact the villain (of sorts) for book three.

Are these books perfect? No. However, they are still incredibly awesome and full of nerdy, action-adventure fun. Basically, if you ever got a kick out of history or fantasy, you should do yourself a favor and read these, starting with Leviathan.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...
Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

Latest Member Reviews

The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

"Lucy and Oliver Tinker and their father Charles are getting settled into Watch Hollow after their harrowing introduction to it..."
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers)

"Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with..."
Camp Murderface

"Tez and Corryn are not super happy to be traveling to Camp Sweetwater in 1983. Neither are super excited about..."
Seven Deadly Shadows

"Sixteen-year-old Kira Fujikawa loves helping at her family shrine. She also has a paranormal ability. She sees the not only..."
His Hideous Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: I read various poems and short stories written by Edgar Allen Poe as early..."
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

"Ren and Kip aren't sure what to expect when they visit their Aunt for Halloween. She works at an Old..."
Bury Me

"In horror books and movies, we often see dolls as the main source of scares( such as Annabelle or Child's..."
Wilder Girls

" THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. This book reads like BUTTER...… Moldy, rotten, disgusting butter,..."
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

"The most amazing thing about classic horror stories is how they still influence many writers today. To read 'the..."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."
Nightingale

"Amy Lukavics is one of my favorite horror writers. All of Lukavics's books are a little odd (in the best..."
Wilder Girls

"The top 3 reasons you need WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power on your shelf: 1.) The characters:..."
The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away

"THE OWLS HAVE COME TO TAKE US AWAY is a middle grade sci-fi/horror (though not too scary) that follows a..."
The Halloweeners (Monsterstreet #2)

"When Fisher’s parents get a divorce, he finds himself with his mom back in her hometown. Even though he wants..."
The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (Monsterstreet #1)

"Max’s dad died when he was young so he doesn’t remember much about him. He also never sees his dad’s..."
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)

"SEASON OF THE WITCH is a fantastic start to the Sabrina series. While fans of the shows will appreciate all..."
The Jumbie God's Revenge (The Jumbies, #3)

"THE JUMBIE GOD'S REVENGE is an even more amazing installment in a middle grade fantasy/horror series. As a third book,..."
Rise of the Jumbies (The Jumbies, #2)

"RISE OF THE JUMBIES is a fantastic continuation of Corinne's story. Combining Caribbean folklore with lots of adventure, this book..."
The Jumbies

"THE JUMBIES is a unique, imaginative, and engrossing middle grade novel. Corinne lives with her father and sells her oranges..."