Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2266
Enjoyable, but....
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Guys, let's have a little chat.

William Shakespeare is a fantastic writer, honestly. He's created a lot of words we use today, his writing is really beautiful and descriptive and there's a reason we quote him so much. However, I hate Romeo and Juliet. I hate most of the plays I've read, really, but especially Romeo and Juliet. I always thought it was stupid that Romeo would be so in love with Rosaline and then within minutes it's all about Juliet. I couldn't stand how whiny they were without each other because you're like 14 and there should be more to life than each other, no matter what time period it is. Like, don't you have something you like to do besides that? Anybody you remotely like? And you've known each other for three days, decide to run away together, then kill yourselves because of stupid misunderstandings? Just...no. I could not stand these characters. However, I usually do pretty well with Shakespeare related YA, so I decided to give this a chance. Maybe Romeo and Juliet will redeem themselves! Maybe something will be different!

I really liked Rosaline. I wasn't crazy about her friends (well meaning, fairly typical teenagers, a bit too shallow for my taste), but Rose had a bit more to her and she was nice. She was a genuinely good person and I hated seeing how upset she got about all this and how much it hurt her. She didn't deserve that, but you know, that's how the story goes.

I wanted to hate Rob from the beginning, I really did. But Rose really loved him and he seemed like this great guy, so when he went to Juliet it, it was pretty devastating to read. He was so sweet and so unsure but he wanted their relationship to work and then, again, in minutes he's in love with Juliet. I hated it in the original play and I hated it here.

The story itself was really well done. We actually understand why the families hate each other (was there a reason given? I don't think there was...) and it made some sense. Juliet is not the perfect, innocent little flower Shakespeare made her seem like, but she's also not the devil we originally believe. There were just a few little twists to make it fit with the new setting. There were also a couple twists at the end that I have mixed feelings on, but I can't really explain without spoiling things. Rebecca Serle knows how to write and I'll be happy to check out her other books in the future.

Overall...I really enjoyed most of this book. Then one little twist happened and I got upset but figured it'd work out, but it started going downhill. By the end, I do think it redeemed itself pretty well, but I can't love this book because of the little twist that I can't discuss. I was hoping for something different out of the ending and I didn't get that.

So, make of that what you will. I genuinely enjoyed the story, I was emotionally involved (maybe TOO involved) and it was well written. Just a couple factors towards the end kept me from really, really enjoying this book, but that's a personal preference. You might feel differently.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Geekerella

"I was in SDCC last weekend so I had to hold off reading. I finally got to finish reading this..."
Geekerella

"Oh my geeky feels! I am in love. Ridiculously in love with Ashley Poston's Geekerella. This book is a fun..."
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

"This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2016/11/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar.html Jacob's grandfather has always told him stories about the people..."

"Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is told from the point-of-view of sixteen-year-old Jacob Portman. As a child Jacob’s..."

"This books was full of so many twists and turns I thought I was going to get motion sickness--but in..."
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine #2)

"“You can’t feel bad every second, I wanted to tell her. Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than..."

""The last act was to infect me with nightmares and paranoid delusions that would take years of therapy and metabolism-wrecking..."

"This isnt something I would have normally picked out. Normally I would have labeled this as "a boy book' but..."

"I picked this book up at Target a good bit of months before I got around to reading it, I..."

"I like the first book. Just liked. It wasn’t mind blowing or incredibly creepy. It was exaggeratedly descriptive in a..."

"In Hollow City, Jacob and his peculiar friends embark on a journey to save their ymbryne, Miss Peregrine, from ..."

"What I Liked: I read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children just a couple of weeks ago, through happenstance. The..."

"What I Liked: Once again, I am sitting here laughing at the difference between actuality and expectation. For a book..."

"I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said. It's original. If you aren't comparing it..."

"Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children is amazing with a lot of surprises and great and believable characters. The fact..."

"For me, what really made the book were the totally creepy photos that were placed throughout the book. It added..."

"This book does live up with its name, it is peculiar. Not only told with words, but this book contains..."

AmyAmy
"I thought the cover looked creepy(I know, I know, never judge a book by its cover)and decided that I should..."

"Is it in bad taste to say that I found Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children peculiar? I suppose it..."

"I just finished it. And, this may be my shortest review ever, but this is officially my favorite book of..."