Review Detail

Starters FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 7261
Starters by Lissa Price
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I received my ARC copy of Starters by Lissa Price from Random House Publishing as a result of being chosen as one of their Ambuzzadors through their Random Buzzers website. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

So I was sitting in my dorm room, bored out of my mind since there are seldom any other ways of sitting in one's dorm room. My eyes were wandering around the limited space when a small stack of books caught my attention, sandwiched between my US Literature books I spied Starters by Lissa Price. I debated momentarily. My homework was done. I wasn't going to read any more Faulkner any way. I had the whole day ahead of me. It was no contest. And so I began reading.

From the first page I was drawn into the dystopian world that Lissa Price had created with no intentions of ever turning back. Talk about a page turner! Had it not been the early afternoon when I started, and only a couple hours later that I finished it, this would have been one of those books I would have pulled an all-nighter for. I couldn't set it down. I tried. Eating is important you know. But I found myself wandering around, nose buried in this book. I had to know, absolutely had to know, what was going to happen next. Would Callie figure everything out in time? I was literally on the edge of my seat.

Starters had it all. There was of course the dystopian setting that we all love, where something has drastically changed the world we live in and the main character is put in the position to do something about it but there was more. There was a mystery aspect to it, you had no idea why things were going down the way that they were but you followed Callie as she uncovered clues and tried to piece together what exactly her renter has in store for her. There's the science aspect that leads you to ponder where our scientists will take us one day, just how far can these guys go? What can science do? And of course, the one constant in the books I love best, romance. But that's all I'm going to say about that.

It had some of the same feel to it as The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson [one of my absolute favorite books, hands down, EVER] and Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series. There was something medically wrong, the dystopian world had pushed science too far and now the question was where it could be stopped. Just how far is too far? I'm giving Starters by Lissa Price a four out of five stars review and crossing my fingers that when the time comes I'll be considered for an ARC of it's sequel, Enders.
Good Points
I love the mystery. Starters really keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering if everything is going to work out in time.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Small Crimes of Tiffany Templeton

0.0 (0)
The Serpent King meets Girl in Pieces in this moving...
A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

0.0 (0)
Leonora Logroño has finally been introduced to her family’s bakery...
The Order of Time

0.0 (0)
“If you’re into secret societies, time-travel, dangerous artifacts, deadly assassins,...
Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...

Latest Member Reviews

"Reader reviewed by AB Jane Eyre is a great book! It was a mystery, drama, romace and suspense all wraped..."

"Reader reviewed by Banana Split The novel Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë is a coming of age love story..."

"Reader reviewed by BooksObsession I usually don't read historical fiction books, but this novel was fantastic! Since it's not YA,..."

"Reader reviewed by Ceesoul Jane Eyre is my all time favorite book, it literally changed my life. This is abook..."

"Reader reviewed by Gigi Jane Eyre has not had a very easy childhood. Her aunt, who was forced to take..."

"Reader reviewed by Flakie Jane Eyre by Charlote Bronte is one of the romantic book i have read, out..."

"Reader reviewed by ToRi This story was a very old book. It's dialogue is old and much different from the..."

"Reader reviewed by abscae This book being from the Victorian Era, a time that is so far ago, you'd have..."

"Reader reviewed by Rosie A timeless love story of breathtaking measure. jane Eyre was the first of it's kind. Unusuall..."

"Reader reviewed by Chels Another amazing classic! It holds the same romance that books like Pride and Prejudice do but..."

"Reader reviewed by Tamanna This may be the best romance novel i have read so far. It talks about the..."

"Reader reviewed by Lynsia I read this book and dwelled it. It was a requirred read. It's hard to follow..."

"Reader reviewed by Veronika This is the perfect romance book. An orphan, Jane, is living in her aunt's house..."

"Reader reviewed by ben 2 people fall in love but 1 is married what should they do read it and..."

"Reader reviewed by Nelka Yes, this is a classic; why is it such, to me... The heroine, Jane Eyre, is..."

"Reader reviewed by charlene The Bronte sisters are known to be over dramatic and forceful, yet I found that Jane..."

"Reader reviewed by Alexandra This book, written in 1847, follows the life of Jane Eyre from the time she is..."

"Reader reviewed by Wonk Jane Eyre is nothing short of amazing. Not only is the heroine strong-willed and intelligent, but..."

"Reader reviewed by shopgirl Jane Eyre is a good read... if you skip over about 100 pages or so. The..."

"Reader reviewed by Jamie Jane had a very unhappy childhood she was hated by her aunt and all of her..."