Review Detail

Underdogs Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2965
Okayness - and how does one achieve this?
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What makes up an individual into the person one hopes to be? What components to a person's life are most crucial to this formation of self? To which extent is an understanding or reconciliation of these personal elements required for one to achieve a satiated level of "okayness"?

These are the questions that auspiciously consume the pages of Markus Zusak's sweet and endearing novella. In my own chronology of Mr. Zusak's erudite adventures, following I Am The Messenger and The Book Thief, the third book in my path, Getting The Girl feels decidedly more deliberate and minimalist. With the protagonist, Cameron Wolfe, ever searching for a hunger and desire within, readers my find themselves, along with Cam, searching for what it is they also are hungry for. In a completely charming approach, Getting The Girl offers fun and amusing perspectives on the intimate value of words, stories and a sense of feeling. Most predominantly, Mr. Zusak frames a portrait of personal familial relationships and how the person that one perceives in themselves informs the perception others have in them; and vise-versa.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Even and Odd

0.0 (0)
Even and Odd are sisters who share magic. Lately, though,...
Bee a Good Human: A Pollinators' Guide to a Better Life

0.0 (0)
Combining inspiration, humor, and entomology, Instagram artist Ali Beckman (@SoFlyTaxidermy)...
Goodnight, Little Bunny

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Bunny on the day that she ventures out...
Flying Over Water

0.0 (0)
N.H. Senzai and Shannon Hitchcock expertly craft the intersection of...
Rukhsanna Guidroz

0.0 (0)
Samira thinks of her life as before and after: before...
Not Now, Cow

0.0 (0)
In this hilarious picture book, all of the farm animals...
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

0.0 (0)
Peekaboo! Who's hiding in the ocean? Lift the flap to...
Family Reunion

0.0 (0)
In this contemporary #OwnVoices tale, a boy is reluctant to...
A Season of Sinister Dreams

5.0 (1)
Furyborn meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this...
The Whaler's Daughter

5.0 (1)
In 1910, twelve-year-old Savannah lives with her widowed father on...
The Neighborhood Surprise

5.0 (1)
All the children in the neighborhood like Mrs. Fig. She...
Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat)

5.0 (1)
Jet is not like any other cat . . ....
Clique Here: A Wish Novel

5.0 (1)
Lily loves science and hanging out with her best friend,...
Smoke and Mirrors: The Heartstone

5.0 (1)
Corbin, a powerful shapeshifting young mage, was just beginning to...
Better Together

5.0 (1)
Freaky Friday meets The Parent Trap in New York Times...

Latest Member Reviews

Sixteen Scandals

"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
Curse of the Specter Queen

"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
Curse of the Specter Queen

"Curse of the Specter Queen by Jenny Elder Moke is Indiana Jones meets The Mummy (1999) and encompasses everything I..."
Soul Lanterns

"Nozomi lives in the suburbs of Hiroshima in 1970. Every year, she goes with her family to a lantern lighting..."
The Forest of Stolen Girls

"There were so many things I really liked about this book. The case of the missing girls was obviously the..."
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

"POISON PRIESTESS is an intriguing YA historical fiction that follows Catherine Monvoisin, a fortune teller and infamous master of poisons...."
Sixteen Scandals

"SIXTEEN SCANDALS by Sophie Jordan is a YA novel set in regency London. The story follows Primrose on her sixteenth..."
The Night Circus

"I couldn’t begin to express how much I adore this book. This book, magically, soothed my temper and let me..."
We Dream of Space

"Bird, her twin brother Fitch, and their older brother Chase are all doing the best they can in 1986 Park,..."
Jo & Laurie

"Jo March is less than pleased with her publisher, who has not only made her artificially sweeten her novel, but..."
A Curse of Roses

"A CURSE OF ROSES is an intriguing YA historical fantasy based on a Portuguese legend. The book tackles themes of..."
The Book Thief

"This book was so good that I cried in the end. Yes, literally. Markus Zusak's writing is clear, bold, and..."
A Cloud of Outrageous Blue

"A CLOUD OF OUTRAGEOUS BLUE is a historical fiction read that takes the reader to 1348-1349. Edyth grew up with..."
The Summoner (Zora and Me, #3)

"ZORA AND ME: THE SUMMONER transports the reader to Eatonville, the first incorporated Black township in Florida, in the early..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Roaring

"ROARING takes place in the 1920s- with a twist. Monsters, sirens, minotaurs, basilisks, and more, exist, and they are woven..."
Jo & Laurie

"Jo March is surprised at how well her novel LITTLE WOMEN has done. Now her publisher and readers want a..."
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

"Thomas' father perished in a mining accident, so when his mother became ill and died, he ended up with his..."
Watermark (The Broken Bell, #1)

"WATERMARK is a dark historical (takes place in the 1990s) suspense. The book follows Jeannine, Angel's sister, and Alex, her..."
We Dream of Space

"WE DREAM OF SPACE is a highly engaging middle grade historical fiction. The book follows three siblings, Cash, Fitch, and..."