Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4481
Wonderful
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I battled ninjas to get the ARC of this book!

So worth it. This book was heartbreaking from page one. It begins with a simple but evocative description of the Everneath: it is an underworld where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans.

Nikki Beckett chose to go to the Everneath. She’s been gone for a century — though on the surface, it’s only been six months. She Returns for another six months, this time to say good-bye to her family and friends before she’s banished back to the Everneath forever. But this time offers her a choice, too: either the Tunnels will come for her and devour the last of her emotions, or she can go back and try to be a queen — but she will have to consume the emotions of others.

EVERNEATH is very myth-inspired: Hades/Persephone, Orpheus/Eurydice, even Osiris/Isis. Brodi weaves all these myths together seamlessly, creating a new and frightening underworld filled with immortals, mysterious High Court, and terrifying Tunnels and Shades.

There were so many things I loved about EVERNEATH: Nikki’s voice when she Returns; her determination to learn more about Cole, the immortal who lured her to the Feed; and her relationship with her boyfriend Jack. I loved so much that Nikki and Jack had a foundation to their relationship, that they were friends first and knew each other before they became soulmates. I loved the slow way they came to know each other again after Nikki’s Return, and how they both had to fight for the chance to be together again.

I loved the mystery. What happened that drove Nikki to the Everneath? Why was she willing to let Cole Feed on her emotions for a century? These answers unfolded at just the right moments. Every time I thought I figured something out before the characters, they were on it a couple paragraphs later.

I loved way we saw Nikki’s life before and after the Feed. It was easy to see why she felt overwhelmed with the need to lose herself to the Everneath. And easy to see why, after her Return, she would fight so hard to stay. Even though the Tunnels are coming for her no matter what.

And oh, the end. Powerful. Heartbreaking. Totally the only way this could have ended.

I can’t way to see where book two takes us.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Warriors of Wing and Flame (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Warriors of Wing and Flame, the spellbinding sequel...
Corona Daze: Eva's time at home during Covid-19

0.0 (0)
"Angel's artwork is an inspirational blend of photographic images and...
Fae's Prisoner (Crimes of the Fae)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Griffin O’Shea is a traitor. It’s what those outside...
The Mirror: Broken Wish (The Mirror, #1)

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Elva has a secret. She has visions and...
Swamp Thing: Twin Branches

0.0 (0)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater (the...
Launch (Rise of the Anointed #1)

0.0 (0)
In the biblical stories, Samson had great strength. The prophet...
How to Catch a Yeti

0.0 (0)
From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling team...
Along Came a Fox

0.0 (0)
The perfect story to encourage children to treat others as...
Rosa's Big Pizza Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

0.0 (0)
Follow Rosa and her friends as they prepare pizzas! Each...
The Other Side of Midnight

0.0 (0)
The sense of foreboding came out of nowhere. It was...
Light of Orion-Guardians of Orion Book 2

0.0 (0)
Evil is gathering strength. When she learns the truth, it...
Mark of Orion-Guardians of Orion Book 1

0.0 (0)
If you like sinister demons, warrior angels, supernatural powers, ancient...
The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)

0.0 (0)
Returning to the dark and glamorous 19th century world of...

Latest Member Reviews

Superman Smashes the Klan

"SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN is based off of an old radio broadcast from 1946, which featured Superman helping a family..."
The Shadow Hero

"Woohoo! A new Gene Luen Yang graphic novel! Basically, any time I hear about one, I’m really excited. The Shadow..."
Saints (Boxers & Saints #2)

"What I Liked: Saints is a companion graphic novel to Boxers, which takes on the opposite perspective: that of a..."
Boxers (Boxers & Saints #1)

"What I Liked: Back in grad school, I had my first experience with Gene Luen Yang's work when we read..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by Rey Have you ever seen three different stories at once that combine together at once? A..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by Misty Gene Luen Yang blends three stories (that of the famous chinese Monkey god from Journey to..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by mayu I Believed this book was ok not the greatest thing i read but this book teaches..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by Meg When I first started reading this book, I was like "Huh? What do these story lines..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie This book became a groundbreaker for graphic novels by winning the 2007 Printz Award, the highest..."
American Born Chinese

"Reader reviewed by Springhair This book was a little confusing at first, mostly because it deals with three different stories...."