Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3924
What a ride! The perfect conclusion to this amazing trilogy!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

There are certain books that I clear my schedule for. Books that I make sure I have nothing planned the day they come out so that I can devote my time to reading. Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer was one of those books. Last Tuesday night I came straight home from work, changed into my jammies, put a do not disturb message up on Facebook and Twitter and then spent the evening reading.

It's taken me several days to be able to get to a place that I felt that I could even attempt to organize my thoughts about this book. I'm still not sure I'm going to make any sense in this review, especially since I'm going to try and keep it spoiler free.

Calla Tor declares herself a warrior in the first lines of the Nightshade. She and her pack take pride in their warrior status. The events in Nightshade and Wolfsbane leave no doubt that a final showdown between the Searchers and Keepers is going to happen. So, it is no surprise that Bloodrose is the scene of the last strategic moves building up to the battle, the actual battle, and the after effects of those events.

As with any war there are casualties on both sides and things to do not always go as planned. It's in those moments that Andrea works her magic. Andrea has assembled a cast of characters that are fierce, loyal, broken and beautiful. The things that happen to these characters are funny and heart wrenching and swoon-worthy and unfair and inspiring. These characters are strong and when they are pushed to their limits they truly shine.

This book is not easy to read. It's brutal. There was one scene in the book that just about broke me. I had to close the cover and simply just cry. But in addition to the brutality, which always comes with war, Bloodrose is also beautiful and exciting and stunning. There are several moments that moved me to tears because of their beauty and the growth of the characters involved in those moments. The end of Bloodrose threw me for a loop. I had spent a lot of time contemplating what would happen in the book but I did not see that coming. Once I recovered from my shock I knew that this was the logical and the only correct ending- all is as it should be.

The Nightshade series has become one of my all time favorite series. I love the ups and downs, the swoons, the heartbreak and the message. I've spent the last few days pondering the series as a whole and I feel a deep sense of satisfaction and peace. I'm so thankful that Andrea shared Calla and her friends with us.

I'll leave you with the two tweets I sent after I finished the book- they sum up my thoughts perfectly.

"Dear Andrea Cremer: I don't know if I want to hug you, scream at you or just cry on your shoulder. Bloodrose is beautiful. Thank you
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Monster Hypothesis

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Bohring-home to 453 people, 2,053 alligators, and one...
Where the World Ends

0.0 (0)
Winner of the 2018 Carnegie Medal! New from Michael L....
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

0.0 (0)
“Fast, funny, frightening—and filled with shocks and surprises. These books...
Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....

0.0 (0)
The first vampire. The last Nephilim. The end...
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Rose Hemmersbach aspires to break out of small town...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Merged

0.0 (0)
Seven of our country’s most gifted teens will become Nobels,...
Bury Me

4.7 (1)
No one ever leaves Copper Hollow. It's a town with...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...

Latest Member Reviews

Hazel's Theory of Evolution

"Hazel lives on a farm with her two mothers and her older brother Rowan. They have a heard of goats..."
Emily Out of Focus

"Emily and her parents go to China to bring home the little girl they are adopting. Emily isn't crazy about..."
Welcome Home

"I have mixed feelings about anthologies. Anthologies are a great way to be introduced to new authors. However, in..."
Louisiana's Way Home

" I want to hug this book and never let go. Louisiana Elefante is cursed. She is hopeful..."
You Don't Know Me But I Know You

"WHAT I LOVED: This #ownvoices slice of life is gorgeously written and comes with a well-written, diverse cast of characters;..."
A Most Unusual Day

"Caroline's days are usually the same, but not this one. Today is very unusual from beginning to end. Caroline is..."
Welcome Home

"WELCOME HOME: AN ANTHOLOGY ON LOVE AND ADOPTION features stories by some of the best voices in YA literature (or..."
Welcome Home

"WELCOME HOME is a collection of stories about adoption from a number of perspectives, from teens who are meeting their..."
Iceling (Icelings #1)

"This was a quirky fast paced, read. To truly enjoy Iceling, the reader has to suspend some of their thoughts..."
Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina

"TAKING FLIGHT is both potent and potentially worldview-expanding. Whether you’re interested in ballet or not, this YA memoir is a..."
Cleo Edison Oliver: Playground Millionaire

"Cleo is starting fifth grade, but her real passion is starting businesses. Her idol is Fortune A. Davies, who has..."
Bridget Wilder: Spy-in-Training (Bridget Wilder Series)

"Bridget isn't expecting a whole lot for her birthday from her busy adoptive parents, but she thought she might get..."