Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2376
Not as good as the first in the series
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This one didn't do it for me. I am SO disappointed to say that because I really like this series. I loved The Luxe books, but the second book in the Bright Young Things series falls flat. Now, don't get me wrong. It's still a good book; it just wasn't my favorite.

With the first book in the series I got all moony-eyed right along with Cordelia over Thom Hale. The ending of that book left me emotionally charged and dying to know what was going to happen. With all of the anticipation I had for this book, I'm a little disappointed with how things turned out. I'm not a fan of Max Darby. At all. He annoys me. Granted by the end of the book I felt a little better about him, but that doesn't change the fact I had to suffer through 1/3 of the book with him in my way. Plus, I just know he's going to end up being a bigger jerk than Thom. I just know it. That does not make me happy.

Then there were the subplots. I love how this story is told through alternating points of view. Well, actually, it's still written in a 3rd person point of view more or less, but the focus alternates on the different girls. I like that. I think it's really well written for such a hard task. The story moves along well enough, except that it dragged in parts. I didn't find myself enraptured in the girls' stories like before. I felt like the purpose of this book was to move the overall (and unknown) plot along. I'm sure the remaining books are going to be HUGE! Letty and Astrid came off as whiny and needy, which bothered me. Cordelia seemed so detached that I didn't care for that either. I really have mixed feelings on this one. My favorite parts dealt with Grady, but I am not at all happy about that outcome.

All of the elements of Anna Godbersen's writing that I adore are evident. It reads like a tabloid article from the 1920s. Her use of descriptive language is great as always. At times, I felt like I was in the story-- like an observer in the spectacles. But other times I read felt like a reader. If you liked the first book, you need to read this one. It serves as a foundational piece to the remainder of the story that is to come. But honestly, I would just read reviews and summaries to find out what happened. Unless you get a copy for free and want something to do.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...

Latest Member Reviews

"WHAT I LOVED: Thanks to my brother being big into Dungeons & Dragons, I have some familiarity with tabletop gaming..."
Our Way Back to Always

"OUR WAY BACK TO ALWAYS is a beautiful YA contemporary romance about two best friends, Sam and Lou. After a..."
Poison Ivy: Thorns

"POISON IVY: THORNS is an intriguing graphic novel that takes us back to the origin story for Poison Ivy. Pamela,..."
The Devil Makes Three

"THE DEVIL MAKES THREE is a dark YA horror that creeps up on you. The book follows two teens, Eliot..."
Poison Ivy: Thorns

"Let me start with the artwork. This was so beautifully done and I loved every single panel. It really pulled..."
Lies My Memory Told Me

"What I Loved: In Lies my Memory Told Me, Nova is the daughter of the people who created Enhanced Memory...."
The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva and her friend Brigit leave behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Spectacle

"WHAT I LOVED: Nathalie Baudin is an extraordinary girl even before she discovers her psychometric abilities. She’s just sixteen,..."
Somewhere Only We Know

"Everything I know about K-pop comes from thirsty Twitter fancams, what has made it into the American mainstream, and an..."
A Song Below Water

"WHAT I LOVED: Tavia and Effie’s world is ours with just a little myth-made-real on top. The Hart family..."
Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."