Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2835
Better than the first!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

I read 'Dark Mirror' when it first came out and thought it was okay. Honestly it was nothing I got too excited about. I loved the concept but thought the story was lacking in a few areas, but still I enjoyed the book and said I would read the sequel. I am so glad I did! I think the sequel is better than the first. The characters are stronger, I felt for them more, the plot was exciting and more daring. Reading this book made me love the first book more as well.

Lady Victoria is back and more humble and giving than ever. She is a strong female lead that her peers and the readers can look up to. Allarde is back. I adore his character. He is such a gentleman and is a great role model for boys reading the book. As I have mentioned in earlier reviews I love the 1800's settings in books. I enjoy this time period with ladies, and gentlemen and 'real' romance. The relationship between Allarde and Victoria is exciting, loving, romantic and makes you sad because they cannot be together because of their status. The rest of Merlin's Irregulars are back this time as well, and there are even some new budding romances to love!

I really liked the new mission the group takes on and it kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen. I thought that M.J. Putney did a wonderful job of really exploring all of the characters, not just keeping the story about Victoria and Allarde.

The only thing I thought could have been expanded a bit more was their school life. This book really delves into the mission right away and we don't get hardly any interaction with the school, teachers and fellow classmates like the first book. I also thought the mission they go on could have been explained a bit more, but all in all a superb sequel to the first book. I am honestly looking forward to reading the third installment!
Good Points
Likeable Characters
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account