Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3533
To Kill a Mockingbird: Book Review
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Overall, this a splendid book and I very much enjoyed every bit.
Good Points
To Kill a Mockingbird Review:

Where I live now is nothing like the sleepy, steaming town of Macomb, Alabama. Although, the author sure Harper Lee made me think I was really living there. In the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, stories are told in the view of an 8-year-old girl named Scout Finch. Scout's Father, Atticus, is an admired lawyer that helps out a black man, trying to win his case in court. This black man, named Tom Robinson, is accused of a terrible crime.

The reason I really liked this book was mainly because of Atticus. His wisdom stuck in my brain and life lessons were thrown at me. Atticus always seemed to have the perfect advice for either of his children, Jem and Scout, and even me! He seems so brave to be able to stand up for a black man in front of a town that despises people like Tom. He seemed to not care about what the world thought of him, which is something that's hard to do.

Mystery and adventure swirls into the story when the mention of Boo Radley comes alive. He is the Finches neighbor, but he never leaves the house. Apparently, only a few, lucky people have seen him step outside into the sunlight. Scout, Jem, and their new friend Dill act out skits of what they think Boo is like. The suspense you get from the tricks they play just make you want to read faster.

While the kids fun and games are at hand, Atticus is busy with the trial. I think as the story goes on, you get the vibe that Scout wrote these stories to show what a good, loyal man and father Atticus was. You can tell that he tried to do the right thing for everyone, and for not just himself. He kept his skills and talents to himself until they were needed. For example, when he shoot the rabid dog coming down the street in one shot without his glasses.

If you were to look deeper into the story, and find the heart of it, you'd find the theme. It's not just about living through tough conditions. It's about living in a world of intolerance towards other races. The townsfolk in the story are scared of other people's differences, and treat them like they don't belong. This could happen anywhere in the world that we live in today, making To Kill a Mockingbird even more realistic.

Throughout the court Tom's court trial, Atticus questions with caution. Some of the things that he asks seem to have no meaning, but in the end you'll discover why Atticus asked them in the first place. In the end, Atticus made it quite clear that Tom is innocent. He explains that black men and women are human just like us, and should be treated no different. But, I think everyone new that Tom was going to be convicted one way or another just because of the color of his skin.

The man who accused Tom, Bob Ewell, was enraged at Atticus for standing up for a black man and proving him wrong. He begins to show hatred towards the Finch family by spitting in Atticus's face. Of course, Atticus didn't do anything violent. He just walked away out of the kindness and patience in his heart. Now, Atticus's kids are in in danger of Bob. To find out what will happen to the kids, Boo Radley, and Bob Ewell, you'll have to read the book!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...

Latest Member Reviews

Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

"Eva Evergreen is a young witch about to embark on her Novice Quest. As the daughter of one of the..."
Bridge of Souls (City of Ghosts #3)

"What worked: This is a satisfying conclusion to City of Ghosts series. Engaging characters, fast-paced plot, and spooky magic woven..."
Aru Shah and the City of Gold

"***This review contains spoilers for the prior series installment, book 3, ARU SHAH AND THE TREE OF WISHES** With..."
The Threads of Magic

"Pip picks pockets to get food for himself and his sister, El. When he picks something unexpected, a mysterious box..."
The Last Fallen Star

"Riley Oh is thrilled for her sister, Hattie, to finally be formally initiated into the Gom clan on her 13th..."
The Wild Huntsboys

"Luka lives in a dystopian future, in Bellum, which is war torn and horrible. There is technology, when their aren't..."
A Wolf for a Spell

"Zima is struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of her pack ever since her parents died in a fire..."
Little Lion Rescue (Little Animal Rescue)

"Callie's class is on a trip to the zoo. Since Callie wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up,..."
City of the Plague God

"Sik spends most of his time working at this parents' deli in New York City. One evening when he's closing..."
The Captive Kingdom

"*I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review* Jaron has returned with..."
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

"Rosie has always taken care of herself and her mother in their house overlooking the coast of Maine. Her mother..."
The Boy, the Wolf, and the Stars

"THE BOY, THE WOLF, AND THE STARS is an enchanting middle grade fantasy. Bo was left in the woods as..."
Dragon Mountain

"Billy Chan has gotten an invitation to attend Camp Dragon, a cultural and language school in China, so his parents..."
The Wizenard Series: Season One

"THE WIZENARD SERIES: SEASON ONE is written by Wesley King and created by Kobe Bryant. The MG fantasy follows Reggie,..."
The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North

"THE TRIUMPHANT TALE OF PIPPA NORTH combines magic and humor in a middle grade fantasy full of charm. Pippa is..."
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

"RONAN BOYLE AND THE SWAMP OF CERTAIN DEATH is a comedic middle grade fantasy that features a young boy on..."
Rival Magic

"Antonia, wizarding apprentice to Master Betrys, may not be the best at actual magic, but she tries her absolute best..."
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew

"A prequel and an origin story; in more ways than one. It becomes easy to see..."
The Cassandra Curse (Muse Squad, #1)

"MUSE SQUAD: THE CASSANDRA CURSE is a fun middle grade fantasy that brings Greek mythology into the present. Callie is..."
A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

"A SPRINKLE OF SPIRITS is the delightful second book in the LOVE SUGAR MAGIC middle grade series. Leo is a..."