Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5693
Masterful
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The main character, Elisa, is beyond likable. She’s the perfect balance of lovable and flawed. In fact, she starts out fat and sweats a lot, but that doesn’t stop her from savoring a couple honey-glazed pistachio buns. :) Elisa has realistic worries and fears, yet she’s by no means weak or helpless. She’s so well fleshed out and charismatic that by page 5 I wanted to be her best friend. I loved her so much that I wanted to jump into the book to assess her groom-to-be and make sure he was worthy of her. My feelings of love, protectiveness, and cheering Elisa on through her intense adventures and challenging relationships never wavered throughout the entire story.

I love Fantasy, so I ate up the world building and the mystery and history of the Godstone. I usually need a lot of romance in my stories to make me love them, but not in this one. Romance wasn’t the main focus, yet I couldn’t stop turning the pages. I didn’t even realize how little romance there was until I had finished the book. The story itself, and the characters, are so strong that I didn’t require my usual overdose of romance to stay engrossed. And that says a lot coming from a die-hard romantic like me.

Rae’s beautiful descriptions and exquisitely crafted writing inspired me to want to be a better writer. So many times I had to set the book down and just sigh, praying that one day I’ll be half the writer she is. I can’t say enough good things about The Girl of Fire and Thorns.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

0.0 (0)
The West Highland Terrier that brought Harvey Comes Home to...
Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...

Latest Member Reviews

The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

" I received a free copy from the publisher through Netgalley. The Most Dangerous Place on Earth centers around a..."
Eve of Man

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."
Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a  Bag, # 1)

"Dragons in a Bag is a whimsical, moving, and magical tale. Perfectly tailored to it’s intended audience, Dragons In a..."
Wonder

" Aiming on the younger end of the Middle Grade spectrum, Wonder is the story of a disfigured 5th grader..."

"Ali-A, Clare, and their dog Eevee are attending a launch party for the game Alien Liberator 2. Ali-A gets ready..."
Comic Squad: Detention!

"Eight different author/illustrators bring to life (and panel) eight different stories told via sequential art, with the uniting theme of..."
Olive and the Backstage Ghost

"OLIVE AND THE BACKSTAGE GHOST is a middle grade horror/ghost story that is full of suspense. Olive loves to sing,..."
The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3)

"I didn't enjoy this series very much. The daemons (souls that look like animals) but it changed drastically in the..."
Poison's Kiss

""A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss.... Until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves." ..."
Angels in the Dark

"List of all 7 stories: What Happened to Trevor Arriane's Day Out Daniel in L.A. Miles in the Dark..."
Shuffle, Repeat

"June isn't happy that her mother has chosen to move out into the country, especially since she has arranged for..."
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

"Nine-year-old Bruno is growing up in Berlin during World War II. After Bruno’s father is promoted to a Commandant, he..."
Puppy Pirates #3: Catnapped!

"Okay, this is incredibly adorable and so creative! I didn’t think a book about dogs could get any more..."
The Chocolate War

"Jerry Renault, is a freshmen at Trinity, a Catholic high school for boys. He is a quiet and reserved student,..."
These Shallow Graves

"This is for those who are into Historical Fiction, centering on the 19th century. It's close to the time of..."
Alive

"The author and publisher of Alive requested that the bloggers chosen to review the book not reveal too much information..."
I Know What You Did Last Summer

"Four high school students, Julie, Helen, Barry and Ray are returning from a party when they accidentally hit a young..."
Alive

" "Don't base reality on what you have seen when you have seen very little." If you’re a..."
Deception's Pawn (Deception's Princess #2)

"In this sequel to Deception's Princess, Maeve, the favorite daughter of the evil High King is being fostered at Dun..."
Eragon (Inheritance #1)

"The Inheritance Cycle certainly has a lot of pros and cons. But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons...."