Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5321
Love. This. Book.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I begged for this ARC.

But the truth is, I was lucky enough to be one of Rae's crit partners for this novel, and I'm immeasurably pleased to see it in its (nearly) final form.

There's nothing about this book I don't love. Rae's writing is gorgeous and lush, but never feels cumbersome or gratuitous; she finds the perfect detail to share with you. The plot is exciting and complicated enough to keep you guessing -- though never so complicated you can't figure out what's going on. The story carries you along at a good pace -- not too ponderous and not too breakneck. Truly, this one is a rare perfect-for-me book.

But my favorite part of the story, even above all the nerdy pacing and prose stuff, is Elisa.

Princess Lucero-Elisa is chosen. She's the bearer of the Godstone, which comes only once every century. It means she's destined for greatness and to perform an act of incredible service.

Elisa just wants to stay in and eat pastries. She gets winded climbing the stairs, avoids political functions at any cost, and her wedding dress gives her four breasts.

She is a hero more unlikely than most.

But she also has a quick wit, clever mind, and a delicious sense of humor. She is kind, loyal, and pure in her faith. In spite of some less-than-desirable-in-a-princess-and-hero qualities, Elisa is someone you'd want to hang out with. I loved her relationships with other characters, how they grew, how they changed depending on the circumstances -- just like any real-life relationship might change. I loved how her views of other characters unfolded as she gained more insight into their lives.

The book opens with Elisa being married off to the king of Joya d'Arena, a large neighboring kingdom, and then she's whisked away in secret. Through jungle attacks, palace intrigue, kidnappings, desert journeys, and incredible personal loss, Elisa undergoes a subtle transformation hardly realized at first, shown in word choices and unconscious character choices. Through Elisa's very readable narrative, Rae builds her world around the characters so skillfully there are no seams.

Rae's respectful treatment of faith adds another quality to Elisa's character and the worldbuilding -- a quality missing in a lot of SFF-YA. Never preachy or judgmental, religion in Elisa's world is approached in the same way many religions are viewed and accepted in the real world. Some believe, some don't, and there's a wide spectrum in between. This aspect helps make Elisa's world as real and vivid as our own.

My love for this book is epic, and I can't wait for everyone else to share Elisa's incredible journey.

I'm recommending this book to readers who've been waiting for the next great high fantasy.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

I've Loved You Since Forever

0.0 (0)
New York Times #1 Bestseller! ...
My Baby Loves Christmas

0.0 (0)
In the My Baby Loves Christmas board book, celebrate all...
Riverland

0.0 (0)
When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike...
All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

0.0 (0)
A perfect, device-free remedy to what to do when the...
Animazes

0.0 (0)
Follow fascinating journeys of animal migration in this beautiful book...
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Hugs...
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

0.0 (0)
Big, brainy science for the littlest listeners. ...

0.0 (0)
In 1935, ten-year-old Alex Maki from Bainbridge Island, Washington is...
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

0.0 (0)
The #1 bestselling Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids series is bringing...
Little Tigers

0.0 (0)
Journey with a family of tigers as they search for...
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

0.0 (0)
Unlock ancient puzzles and secrets introduced via supercool codes and...
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

0.0 (0)
A stunningly gorgeous counting book with a delightful surprise ...
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

0.0 (0)
The first picture book about the inspiring life of humanitarian...
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

0.0 (0)
An inspiring picture book for little ballerinas everywhere! ...
Odd Dog Out

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming and poignant story from award-winning creator Rob Biddulph...
The First Time I Died

0.0 (0)
The first time I died, I didn’t come back alone......

Latest Member Reviews

I've Loved You Since Forever

"This gorgeous board book celebrates the parent-child bond in an absolutely stunning way. I'VE LOVED YOU SINCE FOREVER suggests that..."
My Baby Loves Christmas

"Babies and toddlers will love the colorful celebration of Christmas in this delightful board book. MY BABY LOVES CHRISTMAS is..."
Riverland

"RIVERLAND is a riveting and complex middle grade magical realism novel. Eleanor and her sister, Mike (nickname, everyone except their..."
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

"CHRISTMAS CHEER FOR THE GROUCHY LADYBUG talks about everything exciting Christmas has to offer. There's snowflakes, fires, bells, presents, stockings,..."
Under the Snow

"When you see snow, you think of how pretty it is or how cold it is. UNDER THE SNOW opens..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

"LAUGH OUT LOUD HALLOWEEN JOKES is full of cute jokes that are perfect for children aged four and up. The..."
Little Tigers

"After hearing humans and their dogs nearby, Mother Tiger knows it's time for them to find somewhere safer to live...."
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

"Fans of the Explorer Academy series won't want to miss out on this Codebreaking Activity Adventure. Enter into Explorer Academy..."
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

"ONE FOX counts from one to ten in a thrilling way. The fox is hunting for some food and he..."
Odd Dog Out

"In a busy city of normal dogs, there's one that stands out. She does her own thing and dresses her..."
Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor

"'Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor' by Kimberly & James Dean is a great addition to any child's “I..."
Bach to the Rescue!!!

"'Bach to the Rescue!!!' by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Elio, is a cute and comedic story about a rich dude..."
Trees: A Rooted History

"When I was a little girl there were only a few books that I drug around with me to stare..."
The Hideout

"The artistry and illustrations in The Hideout are dreamlike, painting a picture of your favorite park and woodland location hidden..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
Bernard Pepperlin

"Bernard Pepperlin is the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. After being forced into a teapot, Bernard climbs out to find..."
The Squatchicorns: A Delightful Read

"In this chapter book, The Squatchicorns by Ellen Potter, the third book in a series about a friendship between a..."
The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Santa Mouse

"SANTA MOUSE is a cute rhyme about a mouse who did not have a name but does have a special..."