Young Adult Fiction 3936
Coming of Age in the 50s
Overall rating 

Plot 

N/A
Characters 

N/A
Writing Style 

In the 1950s, Franny must cope with coming of age and do so with a birth defect—a crippled foot. She hates the orthopedic shoes she must wear as much as she hates the limp that defines her as “different.” Putting on a good front, Franny focuses on getting along with others and being exceptionally generous. But when freshman year of high school begins, new pressures pile on her. The final straw occurs at her first high school dance. After shopping for a special dress and buying “normal” new shoes, Franny’s mother stuffs the offending shoe with toilet paper to help it fit. At the dance, to Franny’s mortification, the toilet paper shifts and trails out of her shoe while she is dancing with her crush, Mikey. Horrified, she flees to the restroom, and later her bedroom where she insists on remaining.

Her family struggles to cope with Franny’s depression. Eventually Franny exits her room, but she is no longer the cheerful, friendly girl she once was. Her mother, in a last ditch effort to help her daughter, finds an article in a magazine about a famous shoe designer from Italy. She sends the designer a letter requesting his help in making a pair of shoes for Franny. When he invites Franny to Italy, the girl begins a journey of self-discovery that will change how she views herself.

The Lovely Shoes by Susan Shreve poignantly captures the pain of adolescence and the perceived ostracism of being different. Although the book is intended for grades 4-7, the book is better suited to 7-9th grades, as it deals with some themes an elementary student will not relate to.

The snippets of Italian culture and 1950s nostalgia add interesting touches for the curious reader. Humor brightens the book and lends perspective, all while Shreve captures spot-on the attitudes and feelings of the young adolescent. Perhaps this story rings so true because the book is based on Shreve’s own experiences growing up as a polio survivor. A touching story of family, love, fashion and growing up.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Nubia: Real One

0.0 (0)
Can you be a hero...if society doesn't see you as...
Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter

0.0 (0)
Angsty teenager Mary Shelley is not interested in carrying on...
The Obsession

0.0 (0)
A classic sort of love story...except somebody might wind up...
The Project

0.0 (0)
Lo Denham is used to being on her own. After...
Kingdom of Ink and Paper (The Betwixt and Between Chronicles Book 1)

0.0 (0)
Every book you’ve ever read. Every story you’ve ever ...
The First Holidays

0.0 (0)
Lila Weston is a pro at keeping secrets, but this...
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...

Latest Member Reviews

See You in the Cosmos

"Eleven-year-old Alex has dreams that extend beyond the stratosphere. His main goal, of course, is to follow in the footsteps..."
Into the Lion's Den (Devlin Quick #1)

"Dev, whose mother is the police commissioner in Ne.w York City, has never known her father, a journalist killed before..."
The Best Man

"Archer lives a fairly ordinary but pleasant suburban life with a fantastic family. His grandfather, an architect, designed the elementary..."
The Girl With Borrowed Wings

" Frenenqer Paje has wings. But they're not real, of course, only imagined. She is quiet and obedient, living in..."
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

" Violet's ex-rich family isn't much help to her and her brother; after all, their parents ditched them for Europe...."

"BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA is a dark and beautiful story set in a small town by..."
Burning Blue

"I really enjoyed Burning Blue. I was surprised it was from a male's perspective when I started, but I..."

"I have to confess that I’ve never read much of Gothic horror, but I thought I would give this book..."

"I finally got around to reading this. After missing packages and faulty winnings, I ended up buying this book after..."
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

"This is a book based on the real life story of how Navajo used their own language and a code..."

" Opening Line: You stop fearing the Devil when you’re holding his hand. Between the Devil and the Deep..."

"I read this book in a day. While i didnt study for my math quarterly or do my homework. It..."

"If I had to choose one book to represent who I am, it would be Between the Devil and the..."
Secrets at Sea

"Throw spiders, snakes, or scorpions at me and I’ll be perfectly fine. Rodents, however, are a different story entirely. I’ll..."
Counting by 7s

"What I Loved: Gah, the adorableness of this book. Middle grades can be so good, because they give that focus..."

"What I loved: It's been a long time since I felt like a book was written just for me. How..."
Texting the Underworld

"Texting the Underworld is truly unique! It is one of those books you just don't want to put down but..."
The Friday Society

"Love the steampunk elements!"

"Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke ARC received from Penguin Teen Release Date: ..."
The Treachery of Beautiful Things

N/A
AH Alison Hong
"The Treachery of Beautiful Things is amazing, in summary. With an awesome storyline and conflict, I admire the entertaining twist..."