Review Detail

Hourglass Hot
Young Adult Fiction 4054
A Fabulous Debut
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What a fabulous debut! I absolutely love this mix of southern hospitality, snark, romance, plot twists, and mystery. Hourglass's fresh paranormal voice adds something new to the YA genre and left me wanting more.

I enjoyed getting to know each of Hourglass's characters, especially the main character Emerson. She's broken, but in a different way. Having dwelt with tragedy before and having an awesome paranormal ability has taught her to be a fighter. She's strong and isn't afraid to say what she's thinking and will go after anything she sets her mind to. Not to mention she's a relatable teenage girl and one of things I admire about her is how honest she is with herself. Plus anyone who says buttered biscuits and honey gets props in my book. I loved getting to meet Michael and Kaleb, and can I just say how much I loved the way Myra wrote the chemistry between Emerson and these two, especially with Michael. I'm a sucker for a well written love triangle, though this really isn't a love triangle per se.

One of the things I really liked about the romance in the story is that it's not a love at first site kind, but one with an undeniable connection. I felt that made the love story much more relatable and realistic. My inner teenage self had a few nice laughs at the way Emerson describes the two hotties, Michael and Kaleb. My favorite of the two is of course the broken boy Kaleb. There's so much more to him than what he wants people to see, and I loved how careful and sweet he is with Emerson. Plus these two provided the right amount of humor to the story. What I enjoyed the most about the characters is how Myra allowed me to get to know them, but didn't overly revealing everything about them, which makes me even more drawn to them.

I absolutely loved the way in which Myra combined paranormal and history into her story. I'm a huge paranormal fan and I love the different paranormal abilities characters have and the way Myra created the ability for some of them to time travel. I'm also a huge history fan and I really enjoyed the way in which Myra ties the ghosts Emerson can see into some of the more historical places in the story's TN setting, that Emerson's brother Thomas restores. Hourglass is a captivating story and I loved how every detail, big or small all ties into the story, either with the characters, the setting or the plot itself.

Hourglass is a fabulous debut that not only has a fresh voice, but it's an engaging, fast paced, fun read. It's one of those books that no matter how many times I read (3 times so far) I fall in love with it all over again. If you're looking for a unique paranormal mixed with time travel, ghosts, betrayal, lots of romance, engaging mystery, exciting plot twists, wonderful characters and a great setting, than I highly recommend picking up Hourglass. It's one of those books that you'll sit down to read and before you're know you'll be sucked into into the story. I'm really looking forward to what happens next and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel when it's released next year.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Gotham High

0.0 (0)
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Alex...
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

0.0 (0)
Les Misérables meets Six of Crows in this page-turning adventure...
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

4.9 (3)

0.0 (0)
Sometimes a battle isn't waged on a bloody field....

0.0 (0)
Savannah, Georgia is one of the most haunted places in...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to...
Perfectly Misunderstood

0.0 (0)
Jayden Valdez is an overachieving intellectual. Mike McGinnes is...
Crave

0.0 (0)
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the...
Golden Arm

0.0 (0)
Lazarus “Laz” Weathers has always been shy, and his...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. Sidney and...
In My Heart

0.0 (0)
A working mother reassures her child that even when they’re...
Grandpa's Stories

0.0 (0)
One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved...
The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...
Moonwalker

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Ashes of Roses

"My opinion on the book is it was exciting all the way through the book. There was not a dull..."

N/A
"When Zachary Beaver Came To Town is a good book and has good characters. This story is about a kid..."

"Toby and Cal best friends. Nothing exciting never happens in Antler Texas, But this time the fattest boy in the..."
Stranger with My Face

"I am a big fan of Lois Duncan and I think this book is great and I will be looking..."
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

"his book really made me think about life and people. I enjoyed reading it very much. I just..."
The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart #1)

"I thought that this book had a great plot, with the idea of some excellent characters. But the writing style..."
Deenie

"It amazing this is a must read for teen girls everywhere"
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

"All Turner Ernest Buckminster wants to do is light out for the territories. It’s his one hope for a new..."
145th Street: Short Stories

"Reader reviewed by Jolie I recommend Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter because Pollyanna is a character who always looks on..."

"Reader reviewed by Jolie I recommend Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter because Pollyanna is a character who always looks on..."
As Long as We Both Shall Live (April Lancaster #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Arian hey!OMG this is the best book ever.i love this book, but then agian who can't love..."
The End of Forever: Two Novels (Erin Bennett #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Sandra S. This is the story between two sisters, Erin and Amy, and the bond sisters have..."
The End of Forever: Two Novels (Erin Bennett #1-2)

"Reader reviewed by Daisy A story about Erin Bennet, older sister to Amy Bennet. Amy and Erin are nothing alike...."
A Rose for Melinda

"Reader reviewed by Crystal To start off I LOVED this book!!!!! It was amazing in so many different ways! Soon..."
Killing Mr. Griffin

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick this book was pretty good! i thought it was going to be a boring book because..."
Motown and Didi

"Reader reviewed by peacechik motown and didi showed me that even in the worst of times theres still a possibility..."

"Reader reviewed by vicky I really liked this book. It showed how life could be different in so many ways..."

"Reader reviewed by AB Soldier's Heart was a very good book on what a soldier might have thought during the..."
Stranger with My Face

"Reader reviewed by Chaellee While alot of this novel can be figured out from the beginning, it's still rather..."

"Reader reviewed by ReggieWrites Three words: I LOVE TOBY. She is my idol. I admire her strong-willed, sarcastic-snapping, down-to-earth self...."