Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1734
Not Very Memorable
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by Nana

It is clear that things are different in Wisty and Whit Allgood's world. The story starts with the two of them being kidnapped by The New Order on account of both of them having magic powers, which neither of them knew about. Our villain, The One Who is The One, whisks them away to be put on trial and eventually hanged. Because The One Who is the One controls every aspect of the country, even if the siblings escape, they still aren't safe.

The over-arching plot of Witch and Wizard
is unique, generating ideas as to what life would be like if events
similar to the Salem Witch Trials happened in our modern-day society.
That being said, James Patterson's idea was new and exciting, but the
book falls flat of expectations. The chapters are usually only a couple pages long with large font, and they constantly change from Wisty and Whit's points of view. I wouldn't mind this, only the change is completely random. There may be a long string of chapters narrated by Wisty and then one narrated by Whit, or vice-versa at any point in time depending on whose point of view would be most convinent to describe the scene. This is very off-putting.

Wisty and Whit themselves are bland at best, having no real personality to speak of. Wisty, age 14, is your average "rebellious" character with your average hobby of, well, pyromania. Most times her common sense suffers on account of her attitude. While this would usually define a character, in this story, she comes across as plain unintelligent. Her brother Whit, age 17, is only slightly more like-able and even less dynamic.

The plot is all over the place. While starting at the end of the book and moving backward works well in some places, the book is so short that it winds up leaving the reader confused. Things happen spontaneously with no real explanation, barely leaving you with any time to think about what happened before another event strikes. The villain, The One Who is the One, seems like a watered-down version of Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter series combined with a good-natured uncle. He manages to be a little bit frightening, but not enough to be a truly good villain. His motives are so ambiguous that it's impossible to understand the point of what he does at all, and no clues are given in this book.

By this point, you might be asking why I gave it a three-star rating if I thought it had no redeeming qualities. This book didn't appeal to me in the least, but pre-teens may enjoy this book as a fast-paced adventure full of secrets and magic. It's short and can be finished quickly, and the poorly-developed characters might not bother some people. I don't recommend this book to anyone above the age of 15, nor to anyone below the age of 9 or 10. 

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...

Latest Member Reviews

Peppermint Post

"PEPPERMINT POST is an adorable new story about Christmas and Santa. The Peppermint Post is the busiest post office in..."
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

"STOLEN FROM THE STUDIO is a fun middle grade mystery with a choose-your-own-adventure plot. Carlos travels with his mother, a..."
The Wizenard Series: Season One

"THE WIZENARD SERIES: SEASON ONE is written by Wesley King and created by Kobe Bryant. The MG fantasy follows Reggie,..."
The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North

"THE TRIUMPHANT TALE OF PIPPA NORTH combines magic and humor in a middle grade fantasy full of charm. Pippa is..."
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

"TURBO RACERS: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure. Mace Blazer is a TURBOnaut, a high-speed vehicle racer. He recently..."
Bread Lab!

"BREAD LAB! is a cute picture book that walks through the steps of making sourdough bread through the eyes of..."
A Thousand No's

"A THOUSAND NO'S is a cute picture book about the way that feedback can change an idea. A girl has..."
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

"RONAN BOYLE AND THE SWAMP OF CERTAIN DEATH is a comedic middle grade fantasy that features a young boy on..."
Sharko and Hippo

"SHARKO AND HIPPO is a clever and comical book about two best friends who are going fishing for the day...."
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

"THE THING ABOUT BEES: A LOVE LETTER is an informative and gorgeously illustrated picture book about bees. The book describes..."
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

"THE FAITHLESS HAWK is one of my favorite reads of 2020. I laughed, I sighed, I cried, and this book..."
Zora's Zucchini

"ZORA'S ZUCCHINI is a delightful picture book that explores growing vegetables and sharing with neighbors. Zora is a little bored..."
Libby Loves Science

"LIBBY LOVES SCIENCE is a cute picture book that brings a love of science to all the fun of ice..."
The Hidden Rainbow

"THE HIDDEN RAINBOW is a delightful picture book that combines counting, colors, and nature in a beautiful exploration. Each page..."
The Places We Sleep

"THE PLACES WE SLEEP is a moving middle grade historical that takes place around 9/11. The book is written entirely..."
Dating Makes Perfect

"DATING MAKES PERFECT is a beautifully written YA contemporary romance that had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Winnie has two older..."
Chasing Starlight

"WHAT I LOVED: We think of the glitz, glamorous mega-stars, and classic movies when we think of the Golden Age..."
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears

"Paola “Pao” Santiago loves science and hanging out with her best friends, Emma and Dante. She doesn’t love how superstitious..."
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

"KAMALA AND MAYA'S BIG IDEA is a picture book based on a true story about pursuing your goals and doing..."
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

"HARVEY HOLDS HIS OWN is a contemporary middle grade told from three perspectives: Maggie, Harvey, and Austin. Maggie is starting..."