4.8 7
Hot
Young Adult Fiction 6044
MORE STARS FOR CANDOR!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, The Original H.I.R. (Historical Investigative Reporter)

Five stars just aren't enough for the book that has everything. And Candor, by Pam Bachorz, definitely has everything. There's mind control. Extortion. Imprisonment. Mysterious evil... Yes, Candor has more twists than a bowl-ful of pretzels!

Candor is the story of the absolutely perfect town of Candor, Florida, where the houses, the stores, the schools--even the shrubbery, are all riddled with hidden speakers that pump subliminal messages into the gullible minds of squeaky-clean teenagers, 24 hours a day.

It is the story of high school senior Oscar Banks, whose bitter father founded the perfect town, and who is the only person--young or old, who has managed to escape Candor's mental prison.

So far.

Like all the other teenagers in town, Oscar is mannerable and obedient. He takes great pains never to bring attention to himself, because one slip could cost him his freedom. But Oscar is living a double life; when he's not feigning mind-numbing obedience, he's de-programming select teens and helping them escape Candor's evil influence.

For a price. Of course.

Everything is perfect for awhile, especially since the teens he helps come from wealthy familes, and can pay a hefty price for his assistance. But one day a rebellious girl with a dark and shameful secret comes to town, and Oscar's world is turned upside down. His intense attraction to her is so distracting, he begins to make mistakes. Suddenly, he must decide whether to ignore his feelings to save his own hide, or help her escape and risk blowing his cover.

This book deserves more than five stars! Bachorz's delightfully urgent, desperately in-your-face style of writing is a breath of fresh air for the sci fi genre. I'm no die-hard sci fi fan, yet this book kept me turning pages and biting my fingernails to the bitter end.

Don't miss this one. The industry will probably be buzzing about it for a long time.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account