Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1641
Too Short
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by Yan

In the back of the book the description compares this book to that of Disneys Beauty and the Beast. In some ways I see no resemblance. Yes the girl is beautiful in the sense that shes fashionable, that she brushes her hair a hundred strokes (Im actually quoting from the book), and that everyone seems to enjoy her company. And yes the boy is different from the norm. But it stops there. So if you expect this whole ordeal where the two love birds fall head over heels, youll get it, just not the whole ordeal part.

Told in alternating point of views, Luciuss and Auroras tales behave more like talking rather than actual storytelling. At one point of the book, Aurora actually answers the readers question and responds back to Luciuss concern. Slightly awkward as it disrupted the flow of the writing style.

There were also a lot of plot holes in the book. For instance, how did Lucius manage to ruin Jessups (standard evil male teen in high school) diabolical plan? In the nick of less than a day, Im guessing a few hours or less, he somehow convinced that Mr. Belle is innocent thus making him able to see Aurora before in the play and convinced the vice-principal that Ceclia lied (that was a mouthful). Or wait. Did any of that really happen? Because no where in the book does it explain how the entire thing got resolved. We went from Lucius threatening someone to happily ever after. Im screaming to the book Why are you so damn short!? Explain to me what the heck just happened! Really this book was too short. Some things needed to be expanded, to develop, to make sense!

Wait! Here comes the happy part! (I flipped the way I typically write a review). Crazy Beautiful made me laugh. Like out loud. Which I never do because I dont need any more reason to be considered crazy. It was the scene where Lucius and his younger sister went shopping to style Lucius. The entire scenario was hilarious, the dialogue completely realistic, and the bantering between siblings so relatable!

The theme of course darker than most teen novels but still had its touch of cuteness. I enjoy the buildup of Luciuss evilness, his loner personality, and his ability to create madness within love. Suspense was partially there. Emotion as well. Would have liked the two dynamic characters interact more before thinking that theyre in love-ish. Aurora seem a bit bland at pointstoo much sweetness, trustworthiness.

Overall: I so want this to be longer! It might steal away from the impact but it might also answer so many questions!

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account