Review Detail

A Gripping Tale of Zombies, Romance, and Adventure
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In Mary's village, the Sisterhood guides the people. Guardians and fences serve to protect the villagers from the Unconsecrated --- the undead hordes hungering at the fences. Once bitten by one of the Unconsecrated, a victim will join these zombies that rage through the forest surrounding the village. Mary's father has become one of the Unconsecrated and she worries that her mother's grief may cause her to do something insane.

On the day Harry asks Mary to go to the Harvest Celebration with him, she has a huge decision to make. After all, if she agrees to accompany him, she is essentially agreeing to marry him. Mary likes Harry, but she is in love with his brother. But Harry unknowingly breaks her heart when he informs her that his brother is going to the Celebration with Mary's best friend. At that moment, the village siren sounds. Have the fences been breached by the Unconsecrated? Mary discovers, to her grief and horror, that her mother has been bitten and infected by one of the Unconsecrated --- and that she has chosen to be turned out into the forest with the other zombies rather than dying immediately.

Mary stays with the Sisters. While working through her sorrow, she ponders the stories her mother once told her --- tales of an ocean, something Mary can barely comprehend. Is there still an ocean somewhere past the forest? Could there be other people beyond their forest? Soon, Mary is drawn into a possibly hopeless romance. She glimpses a mysterious stranger, hidden from the others. And then she finds herself on a breathless life-or-death quest.

THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is a gorgeously written story that is filled with bleakness yet leavened with hope. It is part horror tale, part coming-of-age yarn, part romance, and part adventure story . . .adding up to a page-turner that is nearly impossible to put down.

TM
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Rosenhart Book I 'The Sight'

0.0 (0)
"Be the Legend, Join the Quest" The Rosenhart...
Fabric of a Generation

0.0 (0)
For one teen, life's greatest adventure isn't time travel but...
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

0.0 (0)
Historians tell the stories of tragic and untimely presidential deaths,...
Imber (Book One of The Thanatos Trilogy)

0.0 (0)
The locks are failing. The...
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

0.0 (0)
Marty, Ralph, and Skyler might make the ultimate secret combo...
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

0.0 (0)
Althea Gibson was the quickest, tallest, most fearless athlete in...
The Big Game

0.0 (0)
Danny Owens is dedicating his seventh-grade season to his Super...
Race to the Sun

0.0 (0)
Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect...
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

0.0 (0)
Imprisonment, hunger strikes, suffrajitsu — the decades-long fight for women’s...
Catherine's War

0.0 (0)
A magnificent narrative inspired by a true survival story that...
Dangerous Alliance

0.0 (0)
Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older...
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...
The Fountains of Silence

0.0 (0)
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco...
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...
Good Day, Good Night

0.0 (0)
Now in a sturdy board book format, perfect for little...
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

0.0 (0)
Told entirely in text messages, the second book in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Geek Girl

" It all starts with an innocent....well maybe not so innocent bet..."Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen..."
The Shapeshifter's Secret

"Eh... Sometimes I read a book that I just can't connect with. I really wanted to like this book. I..."
Geek Girl

"On the one hand, you totally know what you're going to get with this book. The formula's definitely been done;..."
Geek Girl

JenJen
"In this book, author, Cindy C. Bennett takes us on a young girl's journey through incredible pain and misunderstanding to..."
Geek Girl

"Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2011/11/r... Review: A true gem This was definitely one of the better romance/chick-lit books..."
The Next Door Boys

" I really enjoyed the dynamic characters of The Next Door Boys, this is a true to life,..."
Cinder and Ella

"Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon was a big surprise! When I started reading this book I expected yet another..."