Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 7174
The Many Faces of Freedom
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by Mari

Laurie Halse Andersons latest historical fiction novel, Chains, is exactly the type of literature that engages young readers while encouraging them to think critically about the world, both past and present. Through her accessible writing style, thorough research, and the compelling and intelligent plot, it is clear that Anderson understands her target audience and its .

Set at the start of the Revolutionary War, Chains is the story of 13-year-old Isabel, a slave girl struggling with her own fight for freedom. After her owner dies, Isabel expects that she and her younger sister, Ruth, will be set free according to the owners will. Instead, the two girls are sold to the Locktons, a man and wife who are loyal to the king of England. The Locktons take Isabel and Ruth to their New York City home, and it isnt long before Mrs. Lockton reveals her true colors as a cruel and unsympathetic mistress. On her first day in the city, Isabel meets Curzon, a slave who is loyal to the rebel cause. He encourages Isabel to serve as a spy, with the promise of freedom as her reward. Yet, when she finds herself betrayed by both the rebels and Mrs. Lockton, who unexpectedly sends Ruth away, Isabel realizes it is up to her to secure her own freedom.

The novel poses thought-provoking questions about the concepts of friendship, loyalty, survival, and the true meaning of freedom. Educators looking to supplement a unit on the American Revolution or slavery may find Andersons book the perfect teaching tool. For readers who enjoy Isabels adventure, Anderson is writing a sequel, titled Forge.  

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty...
Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

0.0 (0)
Step into an opulent world filled with risk, romance,...
Sing Me Forgotten

0.0 (0)
Isda does not exist. At least not beyond the...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of...
American Betiya

0.0 (0)
A luminous story of a young artist grappling with...
The Fire in the Glass

0.0 (0)
To save someone she loves from brutal murder, a...
A Red Sun Rises

0.0 (0)
Nine years ago, an unknown poison called the “Red” saturated...
The Story Blanket

0.0 (0)
Babba Zarrah lives in a tiny village in the snow-covered...

0.0 (0)
Which side do you choose when your family is both...
Now That Night is Near

0.0 (0)
It's bedtime, and across the land everyone is settling down...
Mommy Loves You

0.0 (0)
With heart-shaped lift-the-flaps and a surprise mirror at the end,...
Calm Bunny (Yoga Tots)

0.0 (0)
Charming illustrations and step-by-step instructions take little ones through a...
The Problem with Pierre

0.0 (0)
The differences between Bertram and his neighbor Alan were never...
Noisy Tractor (I Can Learn)

0.0 (0)
Children will love to press the soft, silicone buttons on...
Broken Hearts of Queens (Book 1 from The Lost in Love Series)

0.0 (0)
Joy Luminieé, a scrappy teen from Queens, NY, can barely...
Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...

Latest Member Reviews

The Parkour Club

" The Parkour Club is a rollicking good read! Bronte’s journey to find her place in the world..."
The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
The Verity

"FEEDBACK Friends. FRIENDS. This book was so good. I apologize in advanced if it’s just a bunch of rambling..."
The Parkour Club

"The descriptions of Parkour are entertaining and opened my eyes to a new discipline that I was scarcely aware of..."
The Parkour Club

"I enjoyed this book immensely. As with all of her books, Pam Withers masterfully builds up the characters and skilfully..."
The Parkour Club

"I learned a lot about parkour and also Islam from this book. I appreciate a book that focuses around a..."
The Parkour Club

"Adventure, sport, romance and cross-cultural understanding"
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

"Pawns by Patrick Hodges is the first book in the Wielders of Arantha series. Complex and creative don’t begin to..."
The Fractured Empire

"I don’t know where to start! The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle is the first in the World Apart..."
Hunter's Truce

"I love retellings--it's kind of my thing--and this was a new one for me. I haven't read a Three Little..."
Below The Moon

"This book is not like anything else I have ever read and I thought it was great!!! you will need..."
Mage's Apprentice

"Aspen lives in New York City where the Mage's council oversee the well being of the people in it. As..."