Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 9118
A Stunning Look at Teenage Life
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by Kathleen

To Quentin Jacobson, his neighbor Margo Roth Speiglemen has always been an enigma. Even at the age of nine he thought that she was the most wonderfull girl he knew. His miracle. As they grew up, they grew apart. He became a band geek who couldn't actually play any instruments and she became the daring and dangerous girl that everyone in the school knew and loved. One night, Margo shows up at his window dressed in black and announces that they have something to do. Quentin spends the best and longest night of his life getting sweet revenge on the people who've made his life miserable and breaking into SeaWorld. He's so sure that this night will change the way Margo sees him but when he goes to school the next morning, she's gone. Convinced that Margo would not just run away without telling anybody where she was going, Quentin begins to follow a series of cryptic clues. But he soon realizes that maybe Margo didn't want to be found so much as understood.

I. Loved. This. Book.

I'm so used to reading fluff that takes cookie cutter teenagers and plops a dab of magic on to cover up the fact that the story is really about nothing. I've generally tried to stay away from non fantasy Young Adult fiction because it all seemed to be chick lit. The sugar cookie life without the magic. John Green has opened my eyes to a new genre that i can't even begin to name. This book is real.

He took all of the pitfalls that comes with being a high schooler, all of the muddled up emotions and relationships, all of the dumb high school boy stuff, all of the parties that you don't get invited to, the friends that you're only with because it's convinient, the pain and excitement of graduating, scooped it all up and stuck the most fascinating girl right in the middle who just wanted to get away from it all. This book wasn't about cliques, who's dating whom, or what she did to stab so and so in the back. It's about understanding people past the thin protective layer they put up to survive in high school. It's about reaching out to the people that you don't think need to be reached out to.

This book also had a million and one heavy quotes in them that make you want to stare at a wall and mull over your life for awhile. One of my favorites is this;

"Look at all those cul-de-sacs, those streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in those paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper thin and paper frail. And all the people too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters." -Margo Roth Speiglemen

Read this book. It will change the way you think of young adult fiction.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account