4.6 49
Young Adult Fiction 3879
Incredible Story of Growing Up
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Reader reviewed by Hrae

To Kill A Mockingbird, a classic tale by Harper Lee, is one of the best books I've ever read. It is the remarkable story of three kids, brother and sister Jem and Scout, and their neighborhood friend, Dill. The trio lives in Maycomb, a tired, small old town in Southern Georgia during the 1930's. Racism is a main theme, along with growing up.

During the long summers, the kids love to play outdoors. They are bewildered by Mr. Arthur Radley, also known as Boo, who lives down the street from the children. Boo hasn't been out of his house in several years, because he got in trouble with the law as a teenager. He is now a mystery to the children, and they become obsessed with him. They do everything to try and get him to come out of his house, so they can catch a mere glimpse of him. Once the newness of Boo wears off, the children are struck by something hard-hitting.

Jem and Scout's father, Atticus, is a well-known lawyer for Maycomb County. It has been a long time since Atticus has gotten a case, for the Great Depression is in full swing during this book, and no one has the money to go to court. Then in the middle of a dry summer, he recieves a case where he is to defend a black man. Since racism is key in the South at this time, Atticus knows it will be a tough job.
I thought this book was amazing for various reasons. I loved how there were two plots to the story, but at the very end of the book, the author was able to tie them both together. Another strength of this book was how the author was able to make the story seem like it was from a child's point of view, although Scout is telling the story as an adult. This book has won several awards, including the Pulitzer Prize, and was an instant bestseller. It was also made into an Academy Award winning film.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, although it has more adult themes and is mostly an adult book with an 8th grade reading level. Like I said before, this is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account