Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 20185
A Deadly Reality Show
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old living in what used to be the USA, feeds her family by sneaking into the forbidden woods with her friend Gale. The two hunt game, fish, and glean fruit, veggies, and herbs. They eat the food but they also use it to barter for basic necessities. Katniss and Gale live in the poverty-stricken District 12, one of the areas surrounding the country of Panem's capitol. Although there isn't a romantic connection, Katniss knows that deep down she has tender feelings for Gale.

Time is approaching for the dreaded "reaping," a drawing each person who is between twelve and eighteen must enter. If your name is drawn, you become a tribute -- a contestant in the deadly Hunger Games, a nationwide televised reality game show in which 24 tributes fight to the bloody death. The last survivor wins the Games.

Katniss is horrified when her beloved little sister, Prim, is chosen as a tribute; she immediately offers to replace her. As Katniss is readied to appear on the show, she knows that she is heading off to almost certain death. The other tribute from District 12 is Peeta Mellark, the baker's son. Peeta is not Katniss's friend, but he once did her an incredible kindness. Now she knows she will have to be his murderer, since the point of the Hunger Games is "kill or be killed." But will Katniss survive long enough to be a contender?

The thought-provoking THE HUNGER GAMES, with its sly commentary on our evolving society, is not to be missed. Katniss is someone easy to relate to; her adventures are breathlessly plotted, making this book a true page-turner, nearly impossible to put down. My friend insisted I read it, claiming it will be the next Harry Potter phenomenon. I agree. If you only have time to read one book this season, this is the one I recommend.
TM
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 8 7

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
April 20, 2012
I personally don't think that The Hunger Games can be compared to Harry Potter. First of all, The Hunger Games is more like a love story than Harry Potter, and second, Harry Potter is the best book ever!
Ivy
Ivy
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...

Latest Member Reviews

Forged in Fire and Stars

"FORGED IN FIRE AND STARS is an engaging YA fantasy/adventure. The book begins in the past, when Saetlund was under..."
Elysium Girls

"ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from..."
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

"SWORD IN THE STARS is a satisfying conclusion to a delightful YA fantasy retelling of King Arthur in space! Picking..."
The Winter Duke

"THE WINTER DUKE is a thrilling YA fantasy that takes place in a world where magic is controlled by a..."
Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)

"RUTHLESS GODS is dark, atmospheric, and completely enchanting. It was everything I hoped a sequel to WICKED SAINTS would be..."
Glow of the Fireflies

"GLOW OF THE FIREFLIES is a YA fantasy that follows a teenaged girl, Briony, who has no memories from before..."
Tiger Queen

"All Kateri wants to do is impress her father, become the queen she's meant to be, protect her people, and..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."
Tiger Queen

"TIGER QUEEN is an engrossing retelling of the short story, THE LADY, OR THE TIGER? that really takes it above..."
The Memory Thief

"THE MEMORY THIEF is an engrossing YA fantasy that will keep you turning pages late into the night. Etta lives..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

"SPIN THE DAWN is an unbelievably fantastic read with some elements of a high-stakes PROJECT RUNWAY, some elements of FLAME..."
The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight, #1)

"THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT is a lush YA fantasy that follows two primary characters in alternating points-of-view. Esha is known..."
Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, #1)

"BLOODLEAF is a new favorite. This YA fantasy is completely engrossing, thrilling, and absolutely amazing. Aurelia is princess of Renalt..."
Song of the Dead (Reign of the Fallen #2)

"If you loved Reign of the Fallen, you will LOVE Song of the Dead. This book picks up right..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark: An Endless Quest Book

"Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore. It also features a vast..."
Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief: An Endless Quest Book

"Nostalgic parents rejoice! Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore...."
The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1)

N/A
"original review at: http://www.literarychaos.com/ In the spirit of honesty, I would never have picked this book up for myself...."
Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox #1)

"SHADOW OF THE FOX alternates POV between a half-kitsune named Yumeko and a samurai named Kage Tatsumi. After watching a..."