Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3318
So Yesterday was unique book that turned out to be okay.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by TheBookworm

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld
3 out of 5 stars

Hunter is a Trendsetter. The second rung on the cool pyramid. Second only to the Innovators, who peak the coolness pyramid. Not only is Hunter a Trendsetter, but he also works for many different clients. His job: spot cool created by Innovators and sell the cool to the retail market. And because of his job he has just coming in contact with the coolest thing ever, Jen. Because of Jen, Hunter is noticed even more by Mandy at a cool tasting.

When Hunter and Jen only find a phone at where they were suppose to meet Mandy, unexpected events occur. They run into the coolest shoes ever, a scary bald man, a shampoo scam, fake ads, a woman on roller skates, funky type styles, flashing lights that cause seizures, and a bowtie or two. But some questions still arent answered, who are the anti-client and what do they want?

Hunters worry for Mandys safety and Jens adventurous nature inadvertently thrust them into a world of cool and brand-name intrigue.

So Yesterday was really unrealistic, weird, different, not my usual book choose, unique, clever, one-of-a-kind, and truthfully an okay book.

I found myself really liking Hunter and his personality. I didnt like the way Jen treated him. He was totally head over heels for her and really trying his best to act cool, but Jen would throw it back in his face& and then all of a sudden kiss him. She went back and forth and that really annoyed me. Her hyper behavior and how she treated Hunter just plain irked me sometimes.

The little, brief history lessons on a few cool things spread throughout the pages were very interesting and added to the uniqueness of this novel.

The description of their environment and scenery was a little confusing at times, and even lacking in detail. So Yesterday would have benefited if Scott Westerfeld would have explained the occurrences with a little more descriptive detail.

Date Reviewed: September 10th, 2008
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Rosenhart Book I 'The Sight'

0.0 (0)
"Be the Legend, Join the Quest" The Rosenhart...
Fabric of a Generation

0.0 (0)
For one teen, life's greatest adventure isn't time travel but...
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

0.0 (0)
Historians tell the stories of tragic and untimely presidential deaths,...
Imber (Book One of The Thanatos Trilogy)

0.0 (0)
The locks are failing. The...
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

0.0 (0)
Marty, Ralph, and Skyler might make the ultimate secret combo...
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

0.0 (0)
Althea Gibson was the quickest, tallest, most fearless athlete in...
The Big Game

0.0 (0)
Danny Owens is dedicating his seventh-grade season to his Super...
Race to the Sun

0.0 (0)
Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect...
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

0.0 (0)
Imprisonment, hunger strikes, suffrajitsu — the decades-long fight for women’s...
Catherine's War

0.0 (0)
A magnificent narrative inspired by a true survival story that...
Dangerous Alliance

0.0 (0)
Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older...
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...

Latest Member Reviews

Bach to the Rescue!!!

"'Bach to the Rescue!!!' by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Elio, is a cute and comedic story about a rich dude..."
Trees: A Rooted History

"When I was a little girl there were only a few books that I drug around with me to stare..."
The Squatchicorns: A Delightful Read

"In this chapter book, The Squatchicorns by Ellen Potter, the third book in a series about a friendship between a..."

"I AM HUMAN is a picture book written by Susan Verde and illustrated by Peter Reynolds that gently explores what..."
Standing Up Against Hate: How Black Women in the Army Helped Change the Course of WWII

"Because of the enormous need for men to be at the front battle lines, or in one of the theaters..."
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!

"In HAPPY HALLOWEEN, a spider is going around scaring everyone! It scares a pumpkin, a ghost, a witch, and a..."
The Very Last Castle

"'The Very Last Castle' by Travis Jonker, pictures by Mark Pett, has a Willy Wonka feel to it. The book..."
Eleanor Roosevelt, Fighter for Justice: Her Impact on the Civil Rights Movement, the White House, and the World

"Eleanor Roosevelt has always been one of my favorite historical figures; my daughter is named Eleanor, since it's a good,..."
On the Edge of Gone

"When Denise and her mother prepare to leave for the temporary shelter they’ve been assigned to stay safe when the..."
Fannie Never Flinched: One Woman’s Courage in the Struggle for American Labor Union Rights

"Fannie Sellins was a single mother trying to put food on the table for her four young children by working..."
The Aspiring Writer's Journal

"Reader reviewed by Brooke I think that this book is great for young adults like myself. I enjoy looking forward..."
Traveling the Freedom Road: From Slavery and the Civil War Through Reconstruction

"Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, The Original H.I.R. (Historical Investigative Reporter) The minute I opened Linda Barrett Osbornes..."