Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2265
Breathtaking First Novel
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reader reviewed by jocelyn

THE OPPOSITE OF INVISIBLE, Class of 2k8 member Liz Gallaghers impressive debut novel, is truly amazing. Its about one girl finding her place in the world, sorting out herself and her relationships, in a story where the setting, Seattle, is so important and so alive that it practically becomes a character itself! Told in Alices distinctive, honest voice, the story focuses a lot on her feelings for two different guys in her life: Jewel and Simon. Jewel has been a part of her life for a long time. Hes her best friend, and practically her whole world. Theyre extremely close, but Alice is getting a little restless. She wants to know other people, to have other friends, but shes not sure its a desire Jewel will like. Simon, on the other hand, is a very new part of her life. Shes been crushing on him for awhile, but it seems like hes finally noticing her backat a very inopportune time: she and Jewel are starting to become possibly more than just friends. The only person she has to turn to when Jewel freezes her out is Dove Girl, her poster of the famous painting by Picasso that she talks to. In a very short time, Alice has gone from having no boyfriend prospects that she could see, to having to choose between two great guys.

Talking about the plot doesnt really do this brilliant novel justice, though. Its certainly character-driven, and Liz Gallagher captures all of her characters perfectly. Alice is just one of the most perfect, real, and honest teenage girl characters Ive seen in quite awhile, and someone Id love to meet in real life. The first line of this book is perfect: Some girls have journals. I talk to my poster. Its just so Alice, so unique, so intriguing, so perfect. Alice is a very real teenage girl, and she has real questions that we all have about love, friendship, and life. Shes so true-to-life, but also so wonderfully unlike anyone Ive ever met! The other characters populating this novel are well-drawn, but Alice is my favorite character of the year so far, by far.

Liz Gallaghers lyrical prose draws the reader right in, and my only wish for this book is that it be longer! Its only 151 pages, and I wanted to spend far longer than that in Alices world. Those 151 pages go by far too quickly, though! This book is definitely one Id love to reread, and I cant wait to read whatever Gallagher writes next. Shes certainly one of the most promising new voices in young adult literature.

Reposted from http://teenbookreview.wordpress.com
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Izzy Gizmo and the Invention Convention

0.0 (0)
In this companion to the award-winning Izzy Gizmo, Izzy Gizmo...
The Welcome Wagon

0.0 (0)
In Cubby Hill, someone new is someone to celebrate!In a...
Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

0.0 (0)
Gotham City is filled with stories--of heroes and of villains,...

0.0 (0)
With Joanie Stone's colorful illustrations and Allison Crotzer Kimmel's inspirational...
Cracked Up To Be

0.0 (0)
The high price of perfection is one 'Perfect' Parker Fadley...
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

0.0 (0)
An action-packed and heartwarming story of a dog in the...
Bo the Brave

0.0 (0)
A feisty little girl learns who the real monsters are...
Double Trouble!

0.0 (0)
Mischief is multiplied when twins are around! ...
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to the...
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Ever since they can remember, fifth-graders Kenzie (aka Kenzilla) and...
Nina Soni, Former Best Friend

0.0 (0)
The first title in a new series featuring a lovable,...
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

0.0 (0)
The second title in a humorous series featuring a charming,...
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

0.0 (0)
Having defeated the Garr, a vicious tree monster who lived...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of The...
Helen Keller: The World at Her Fingertips

0.0 (0)
When Helen Keller was a baby, she became sick and...
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

0.0 (0)
A lovable dog helps his human girl solve a mystery....

Latest Member Reviews

Izzy Gizmo and the Invention Convention

"IZZY GIZMO AND THE INVENTION CONVENTION is a delightful, rhyming book about staying true to yourself and getting creative. Izzy..."
The Welcome Wagon

"THE WELCOME WAGON features four friends who decide to welcome a new family to Cubby Hill. As they travel to..."
Jo & Laurie

"Jo March is surprised at how well her novel LITTLE WOMEN has done. Now her publisher and readers want a..."
Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

"BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME reimagines fairytales as Batman stories. There are four main stories in this graphic novel...."
An Enchantment of Ravens

"I'm not very into reading fantasy (so I might not be the best person to review this). But I was..."

"Girls and women have run for a long time; even the author Louisa May Alcott made distance running part of..."
Cracked Up To Be

"Cracked up to be is an unsettling tale of a girl on the cusp of a mental breakdown for over..."
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

"Thomas' father perished in a mining accident, so when his mother became ill and died, he ended up with his..."
Bo the Brave

"BO THE BRAVE is a delightful story about courage and not judging others too quickly. Bo lives with her brothers,..."
Double Trouble!

"DOUBLE TROUBLE! features twins, Ellis and Erin, who are looking for trouble. They search all over the house, in the..."
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

"THE MORNING FLOWER continues the OMTE ORIGINS story as Ulla continues to search for her heritage and for the missing..."
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

"Kenzie and her best friend Shelley love roller derby, a sport in which they are interested because Kenzie's mother is..."
Nina Soni, Former Best Friend

"Nina is nine years old, and struggling with several things. Her father has to spend his week working away from..."
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

"After Nina Soni, Former Best Friend, Nina is back, and this time is concerned that her little sister is a..."
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

"Lucy and Oliver Tinker and their father Charles are getting settled into Watch Hollow after their harrowing introduction to it..."
None of the Above

"This is one of those books that a reader can learn from. This is the first YA book that I..."
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

"THE LOST CITY is a highly engaging YA fantasy read about Ulla, a troll. Trolls are secretive creatures who live..."
Helen Keller: The World at Her Fingertips

"Born in 1880, Helen Keller is famous for her persistent nature, but since she died over sixty years ago, she..."
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

"King's friend Thor is in big trouble. His owner, Jillian, got a call from the grumpy Mr. Gary that Thor..."
Doodleville

"Drew loves to draw, and has a notebook full of doodles with whom she interacts. When she takes her sketch..."