Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

What I loved:

Pirates, princesses, and a curse! What wasn’t to love and be drawn in by the premise? I wanted to know what was happening next with the characters and storyline.

Right from the beginning, I was drawn into Cali’s plight to save her kingdom and loved ones. She must travel to a magical land that will cost her greatly, but she doesn’t realize how great. With a time limit of only 5 days, she’s tasked with a mighty job of finding a potion, and answer that will heal and help her kingdom.

We are allowed to experience and see the new kingdom through Cali’s eyes, which is seeing it for the first time, and it allows us to learn things with her at the same time. I thoroughly enjoy Bae as a character, he’s mysterious and interesting with more layers than I think we can see during this first in a series, and he’s by far my favorite character. He is the Prince of Pirates, the son of the Captain, and he has more than just a mysterious air surrounding him, he has secrets too, and those drive his actions and his father’s during the book.

What Left Me Wanting More:

The pacing left me wanting a little more depth between the characters. The entire book happens in a week or so, which leaves Bae and Cali’s interactions limited to 3-4 days. I would have loved to see this built up and drawn out a little more to make sense of their connection.

Outside of Cali, Darren and Bae, I felt as though the other characters needed more depth as well. They felt a little stiff for me, and I couldn’t relate or feel for their plight.

Final Verdict: 

Princess of Death has an intriguing plot that anyone who loves pirates and princesses will love. With the promise of an action-packed sequel, this novel will surely hook fans of Pearson’s work! A fast-paced page-turner, that will have readers diving for it.
Good Points
Epic world-building!
A promising series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

0.0 (0)
In 17th-century Paris, 19-year-old Catherine Monvoisin is a well-heeled...
Sam Can't Sleep

0.0 (0)
When Sam can’t sleep, he decides to ask all the...

Latest Member Reviews

There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

"While I was familiar with most of the information in the book, due to apparently all too frequent deep..."
Fate Calling

"Fate Calling by Lindsay Grace is a beautifully written fae fantasy about a young human girl named Aislinn and a..."
Reign of Secrets

"What worked: The magical aspect of this book had me turning pages quickly. It was easy to read and..."
In Deeper Waters

"IN DEEPER WATERS is an intriguing and fast-paced YA fantasy. Tal is the fourth of five royal children in a..."
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: OUTER SPACE is another fun collection of paint-by-sticker images with an outer space theme. The book..."
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

"THESE FEATHERED FLAMES is an enchanting YA fantasy about sisterhood, power, and destiny. When twins are born in the royal..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."
Baseball Baby

"BASEBALL BABY is a delightful board book about baseball. The book begins with heading to the park to play baseball..."
I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
Sam Can't Sleep

"SAM CAN'T SLEEP is a fun picture book read that introduces the concept of nocturnal animals. It's nighttime, and all..."
Welcome to California

"WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA is a fun picture book of facts about the state. It covers topics from the state capitol..."