Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

The Story:
Michael is running from the mistakes of his past, both his mistakes and the mistakes of others. Annie is living in a nightmare.
When Michael shows up at her diner, shot and trying to hide it, Annie knows she has to help him. What she doesn’t yet know is how he’ll help her in return with an abusive step-father and a plan to escape. But when his past catches up to him, it could destroy them both.

What I loved:
Pretty much everything. Told in first person, alternating POV, the story flows easily between scenes, making for a one-sitting reading it’s hard to regret. Annie is trying to be strong for her brother in a town that scorns her. She’s such a great character and demands respect at every turn. Michael... or Michael, the broken boy. He’s so endearing it’s hard to imagine how he got so mixed up with bad men. There’s insta-love here, but it’s insta-love between the reader and the character, not between characters.
Jordan Ford could write just about anything well and this story is no different.
And that ending... I mean, I knew where they’d end up, but it was exciting all the same.

What left me wanting more: The ending. Really, just the fact it ended at all.

Final verdict:
An engaging story full of characters to root for that won’t let you stop reading until the very last page.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
In 1910, twelve-year-old Savannah lives with her widowed father on...
The Neighborhood Surprise

0.0 (0)
All the children in the neighborhood like Mrs. Fig. She...
Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat)

0.0 (0)
Jet is not like any other cat . . ....
Clique Here: A Wish Novel

0.0 (0)
Lily loves science and hanging out with her best friend,...
Smoke and Mirrors: The Heartstone

0.0 (0)
Corbin, a powerful shapeshifting young mage, was just beginning to...
Better Together

0.0 (0)
Freaky Friday meets The Parent Trap in New York Times...
Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

0.0 (0)
With over 30 million copies in print, Anna Dewdney's New...
City (Wheels at Work)

0.0 (0)
Delivering, collecting, transporting and recycling! Lift the flap to see...
A Season of Flowers

0.0 (0)
Michael Garland (Daddy Played the Blues) displays his impressive illustration...

0.0 (0)
The Great Storm of 1893 evicts 15-year-old Gabbie from her...
You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...

Latest Member Reviews

The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel

"Mars Patel idolizes Oliver Pruitt, a powerful tech giant who also runs Pruitt Prep. Mars and his friends Toothpick, JP,..."
Bear Bottom (Fun Jungle #7)

"Teddy and his family, along with Summer and her family, head off to Yellowstone Park. J.J.McCracken is interested in buying..."
Weird Kid

"Jake Wind is finding middle school a challenge: his dad is a proctologist who can't stop making butt jokes, and..."
Golden Gate (City Spies #2)

"After a mission aboard a ship that ends with Sydney blowing things up and Brooklyn saving the daughters of a..."
The Stitchers

"Quinn Parker lives on Goodie Lane in a small Connecticut town with her mother and her older, arthritic dog,..."
The Secret Starling

"It's 1974, and Clara is being raised in a decrepit, remote country mansion by a stern and uncaring uncle because..."
Shark Summer

"In this graphic novel, we meet Gayle, who has moved to Martha's Vineyard from Boston so that her mother can..."
Duckscares: The Nightmare Formula

"I don’t know who enjoyed this book more: my son or me! The Nightmare Formula by Tommy Greenwald is the..."
City Spies (City Spies #1)

"Sara is a hacker who managed to break into the foster care computer system to report her troublesome foster parents;..."
Rescue at Lake Wild

"Madi and her friends Aaron and Jack live in Willow Grove, a small town where they are able to go..."
Sam the Stolen Puppy

"SAM THE STOLEN PUPPY by Holly Webb is a heartbreaking tale of one little girl’s search for her missing pup...."
The Case of the Missing Cheetah

"Three curious little girls find their way into the midst of a secret spy organization in The Case of the..."
The Clockwork Crow

"Seren Rhys is glad to be leaving the orphanage but nervous about what awaits her at her godfather's estate, Plas-y..."
Shoe Wars

"SHOE WARS is a silly fun middle grade read that is somewhere between a graphic novel and chapter book. The..."
Whispering Pines

"After Rae's father goes missing, her mother decides to move to a new town and start over. Rae thinks there..."
The Amazing Beef Squad: Never Say Die!

"Of COURSE, Stupidball games always end badly, but this doesn't stop friends Hogue, Jared, Pratchett and our narrator Nick Rhodes..."
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

"Rosie has always taken care of herself and her mother in their house overlooking the coast of Maine. Her mother..."
Charlie Thorne and the Lost City (Charlie Thorne #2)

"After her adventures in Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation, Charlie is hiding out in the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador,..."
Minecraft: The Shipwreck

"Jake and his father have moved around quite a bit after the death of his mother. His father is a..."
Friend Me

"Roisin has moved from Dublin, Ireland to the Boston area with her mother and older brother Michael. Her mother works..."