Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

The story:

At seventeen, Claire Harper’s life has taken a turn for the worse – her mother has just died, leaving her an orphan, and her status as a privileged member of society has been revoked. In the caste-system her society lives by, she has been relegated to the lowest rung until she pays off her family’s mountain of debt. Not only that, but she has microscopic cameras filming her every move. Then she meets Darren, a mysterious boy who turns her world on its head, and who teaches her that life is something that must be lived.

What I loved:

Claire, for openers. After being dealt a bad hand, she is determined to reclaim her life, regardless of the cost to her own well-being. This leads her to making rash, flawed decisions, which are well-written and seem perfectly in character for almost anyone in her position. Her chemistry with Darren is undeniable, and their scenes together oozed with a desperate sweetness that I found very endearing. I also loved the steady buildup of tension as the plot shifted into a psychological thriller, where Claire begins to doubt her own sanity after yet another tragedy strikes.

What I didn’t love:

I had hoped that the payoff to the story would be as good as everything that led up to it… but sadly, the climax left me a little underwhelmed. I wasn’t entirely sure how the plot would resolve itself, though I did have a feeling it would incorporate elements of the story that were touched on early and then barely after that, as well as one character painted as trustworthy but turned out not to be. While I’m glad the book ended on a positive note, I wish the payoff could have been a little better.

My Final Verdict:

Twisting Minds is an enjoyable stand-alone story that fans of the dystopian genre will enjoy. Though the society within its pages is more akin to that of Hunger Games than The Walking Dead, there are definite parallels to the world we occupy today. The two MCs are well-realized, the voice is fantastic, and the book is impeccably edited. Though I wasn’t a huge fan of the ending, maybe others will be.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

0.0 (0)
A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome! Within...
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

0.0 (0)
Animals--they're cute and fluffy, cuddly and puffy, and ... sometimes...
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Drew Sheneman brings budding paleontologists the truth about...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from New...
Soulswift

0.0 (0)
A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must rethink...
Goblin King

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Beautiful Wild

0.0 (0)
You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage...

Latest Member Reviews

Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

"POP-UP PEEKABOO! BABY ANIMALS is a charming lift-the-flap and pop-up picture book. Each spread features a parent animal who is..."
Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a  Bag, # 1)

"Dragons in a Bag is a whimsical, moving, and magical tale. Perfectly tailored to it’s intended audience, Dragons In a..."
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

"Edward Tulane is a distinguished, but vain, china rabbit. Edward’s girl Abilene loves him and he loves her right back...."
Lights, Camera, Carmen! (Carmen #2)

"Lights Camera Carmen is a quick-to-read tale of a zealous and outspoken kid destined to make it big. ..."
Pete the Kitty and The Groovy Playdate

"Pete the Kitty is the younger version of the beloved Pete the Cat books; perfect for lovers of the original..."
Kendall's Snow Fort (Scholastic Reader Level 2: American Girl: Wellie Wishers)

"Kendall’s snow fort is a feel-good lesson learning wintery mix of fun. Essential for slightly more advanced readers, Kendall’s..."
Amelia Bedelia Digs In (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #12)

"Geared towards 7-8-year-olds, a bit of this content will go over their heads, told in a voice that seems older..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Lost Tooth (King & Kayla #4)

"A rather quick read with a quick solve, King and Kayla told from the perspective of the dog, King, will..."
Mae Among the Stars

"A beautiful story with a beautiful message. Mae is a young girl with a big dream. She wants..."
Rabbit Moon

"A very cute bedtime story. Rabbit lives on the moon. Each night, children make wishes and they travel to..."
Tiny and the Big Dig

"An adorable little dog with a huge drive. Tiny smells a bone. He's sure it's there, somewhere beneath his..."
Princess Truly in My Magical, Sparkling Curls

"There is not one thing to dislike about this book. Princess Truly has magical sparkling curls and that..."
Three Little Monkeys

"A great looking story. Three little monkeys are left alone when the lady of the house leaves each day...."
Thank you Earth

"A beautiful and well-done love letter to our planet. Gosh, what can I say about this one? I loved..."
Pignic

"A cute adventure with a family of pigs. As you can guess by the title, the pigs decide..."
Grace For Gus

"A cute adventure through New York City. Grace is a spunky girl with many hidden talents. Gus is the..."
I Want to be a Doctor

"A cute and informative look inside hospitals for children. The story tells of a family visit to the hospital..."
Fuecho Y Pablo

"A funny and endearing tale of a summer day gone wrong. The story: Ugly cat just wants a paleta...."
Lola's Rules for Friendship

"A story about an endearing little girl learning one of life's greatest lessons - how to relate to her peers...."
Shopkins: Always in Style

"A cute way to get kids into the story. Stickers. These little genius toys that adults get annoyed..."