Wonderful Sequel!
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book in the series. Nari and Avery, the two main characters, are written well, and it is quite nice to see how the way in which they interact with each other has changed since the accident that caused their friend Cooper's death a couple of years back. While Avery disappeared into a world of popularity and athletics, Nari went on to be who she always was – a sweet, kind girl who has a lot of expectations heaped on her but wants more out of life than that. The thing is, Avery also wants more. He wants out of the town that took his friend and changed his father. While his dad used to be a professional football player and all-around good guy, his drinking has turned him into someone unrecognizable, and Avery is tired of dealing with it. Yet, he has to be there for his mother and younger brother, Nicky.

Nari's friendship with Nicky, despite his being two years younger, grows while she finds herself separated from the friendship she once had with Avery. Despite being next door neighbors, she has watched him turn into someone he never was, dating the meanest girl in school, and avoiding the past he has tried to blame everyone for ever since losing Cooper.

When they find themselves thrust into situations in which they cannot avoid being together, Avery makes a deal with Nari that he'll tutor her if she'll kiss him and make his ex-girlfriend jealous. While Nari finds herself attracted to him, she tries to warn herself against doing anything with him. She knows it will all only end in upset for her. But, predictably (in a good way), she does turn to him for help, and she finds herself falling for him, despite her deep desire not to do so. And Avery, though Nari thinks he's just trying to win his girlfriend back, is falling for her, too.

Their friendship and the surprises they have in store for each other, from her being in a band to him showing her his soft side even when she doesn't want to believe it's there, are perfect fodder for the two of them becoming friends again and finding their way back to the rest of the group that got torn apart on that fateful day when they lost Cooper.

A fantastic follow-up to 'Dating My Best Friend,' and featuring cameos by the characters from that book, Peyton and Cam, among others, 'Dating the Boy Next Door' delves into the themes of friendships lost and found, empathy, and internal struggles. Both Nari and Avery have issues they need to get past in order to move on with their lives and with each other. Their ability to work through these and find their way back to each other is one of the greatest parts of the book. Even though you think you know what's coming, the reading journey is all so very worth it.
Good Points
A fantastic follow-up to 'Dating My Best Friend,' and featuring cameos by the characters from that book, Peyton and Cam, among others, 'Dating the Boy Next Door' delves into the themes of friendships lost and found, empathy, and internal struggles. Even though you think you know what's coming, the reading journey is all so very worth it.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to save...
11004295_10203571569113600_1962266189_n.jpg

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
*****Best YA Book & Author of the Year***** The...

Latest Member Reviews

I Love You, Daddy (Peter Rabbit)

"I LOVE YOU, DADDY is a sweet book for fathers to share with their young readers. Featuring springy pastels, Peter..."
I, Cosmo

"Cosmo is the "big brother" of Max and his young sister Emmaline, and is now 13 years old. He still..."
Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation (Charlie Thorne #1)

"Charlie is a twelve year old intellectual prodigy who has uncaring, manipulative parents whom she has escaped by enrolling in..."
Otter: What Pet Is Best?

"'Otter: What Pet Is Best?' by Sam Garton introduces Otter to a variety of pets that he might want, but..."
I Want to Be a Pilot

"'I Want to Be a Pilot' by Laura Driscoll, pictures by Catalina Echeverri, takes readers on a journey through an..."
All Aboard! The Airport Train

"'All Aboard! The Airport Train' by Nichole Mara, illustrated by Andrew Kolb, is a neat, lift-the-flap book that turns into..."
Diggersaurs Explore (Diggersaurs)

"DIGGERSAURS EXPLORE is a delightful sequel to the book taking the toddler world by storm! Whether you have a little..."
Diggersaurs

"DIGGERSAURS is perfect for children who love dinosaurs, construction vehicles, bright colors, and/or fun, rhyming phrases. This book re-imagines construction..."
I Love You, Little One

"I LOVE YOU, LITTLE ONE is an elegant and lovely book that speaks to parental love. Perfect for bedtime, this..."
Fun on the Farm

"FUN ON THE FARM is an adorably ridiculous read. The book uses rhyming phrases to anthropomorphize farm animals in the..."
The Happy, Snappy Crab

"THE HAPPY, SNAPPY CRAB is a charming adventure through the sea. The board book features pop-up sea animals on every..."
Snuggle Tight, Kiss Goodnight

"SNUGGLE TIGHT, KISS GOODNIGHT is a lovely bedtime pop-up board book. The book features rhyming phrases related to bedtime and..."
When the Babies Came to Stay

"WHEN THE BABIES CAME TO STAY is a lovely story about non-traditional families, unconditional love, and community. Four babies arrive..."
The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North

"In Wanderly, everyone has a role. Some are Triumphants, the greatest of heroes, some are Tragicals, orphans doomed to a..."
TBH, This is SO Awkward

"'TBH, This is SO Awkward: A Novel in Text' by Lisa Greenwald is quite interesting in that it is written..."
Look Both Ways

"I often hear it said that writers are bred, and sure you can breed some decent writers with whatever amount..."
Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

"Mr. Penguins and his friends Colin the spider and Edith are trying to keep a rock safe from dastardly types..."
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

"POP-UP PEEKABOO! BABY ANIMALS is a charming lift-the-flap and pop-up picture book. Each spread features a parent animal who is..."
On These Magic Shores

"Twelve-year-old Minerva "Minnie" Soledad Miranda has big goals. She wants to be the first Latina president of the United States..."
Ghost Boys

"I always struggle to review these types of novels--these black lives matter, civil rights-esque novels. I often go into them..."