Breaking the Cycle of Anxiety
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Best friends….secret love….y’all Michelle MacQueen put my two favorite tropes into one incredibly sweet story. Roman and the Hopeless Romantic is the second book in Macqueen’s Gulf City High series, and as the title suggests, follows the story of Roman Sullivan. If you’ve read book one, he should be familiar as Jesse’s flirtatious, good-natured best friend. I was really excited to start this one, and it does not disappoint!

Roman, as I’ve already stated, is genuinely a good guy and a bit of a flirt, which gets him the reputation of being a ladies man. However, he couldn’t be farther from that. He’s lonely. His parents are constantly away for work, his best friend has a new girlfriend, and his other best friend is currently not speaking to him. Roman doesn’t take it personally, or at least tries not too. Cassie doesn’t speak to anyone, but that doesn’t stop Roman from talking to her. When his parents tell him they are moving to another country and he has to go with them, Jesse makes him an offer he can’t refuse. But how does one go about living in the same house with the girl he secretly loves?

Cassie Carrigan lost her innocence and security the day she witnessed her mother’s death two years prior. Since then, her anxiety and PTSD has kept her inside her house where she only speaks to her family. Even Roman, the boy who was once as close to her as her brother Jesse, she can’t talk to. Her fear gets the better of her at every turn. She’s lost herself, the fun loving girl she used to be, and she doesn’t know how to get it back. When Roman moves in with them, Cassie’s therapist sees an opening for her to push back at her anxiety. Between the small challenges her therapist assigns and Roman’s constant presence, can Cassie begin to live again?

This book is more than a romance. It’s a heartfelt exploration of loss and grief, first love and best friends, and how anxiety can cripple it. I adore Roman! He is a big teddy bear who loves fiercely. And Cassie….my heart broke for her, but I was ultimately proud of her resilience and determination to break out of her shell. Michelle MacQueen perfectly captures this couple, and while the romance is sweet, it’s their friendship that drives the plot. If you are a fan of YA contemporary romance, I highly recommend it.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

If Only...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author-illustrator Mies van Hout employs vivid creatures in a...
Like a Giant

0.0 (0)
A beautiful story about imagination and taking your time to...
A Rosa Le Encantan Los Carros/Rosa Loves Cars

0.0 (0)
Averiguemos con quâe juguetes juegan Rosa y sus amigos hoy!...
The Duck Who Didn't Like Water

0.0 (0)
See a duck take to the water of friendship in...
Goodnight, Little Llama

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Llama, who is about to make a very...
The Boy and the Sea

0.0 (0)
A picture book meditation on curiosity, wonder, and finding one’s...
In Your Cozy Bed

0.0 (0)
A soothing bedtime board book from the creators of In...
Chicks Rock!

0.0 (0)
Rocker Chick overcomes stage fright to find her voice in...
The Beach (Bluey)

0.0 (0)
Read along and join Bluey's latest adventure! ...
All About Bluey

0.0 (0)
Meet Bluey! This lovable and imaginative Blue Heeler puppy is...
Instructions for Dancing

0.0 (0)
THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The critically...
Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...

Latest Member Reviews

The Wild Huntsboys

"Luka lives in a dystopian future, in Bellum, which is war torn and horrible. There is technology, when their aren't..."
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

""Written" by dwarf Nord Diggums with contributions from experts in the field of magical creatures such as Professor Ivana Therey..."
Artemis Fowl: How to Be a LEPrecon: Your Guide to the Gear, Gadgets, and Goings-on of the World's Most Elite Fairy Force

"Nearly twenty years after its original publication, Artemis Fowl is a movie! It's apparently on Disney Plus, so readers who..."
Wicked Nix

"Wicked Nix is the foulest of the fairies. He's also the protector of the forest and will keep people out..."
The Secret of the Crystal Fairies (Thea Stilton Special Edition #7): A Geronimo Stilton Adventure

"Even though Thea is off on an international scientific expedition to the Arctic, her five friends in the Seven Roses..."
Monica the Marshmallow Fairy: A Rainbow Magic Book (The Sweet Fairies #1)

"Rachel has come back to visit Kirsty, and they are being taken by Aunt Helen to visit Candy Land, a..."
Halfway to Happily Ever After (The Wish List #3)

"Isabelle is in training to become a fairy godmother, but her skills aren't top notch, so she's had to have..."
Perfectly Popular (The Wish Fairy #3)

"In this third book in the series, Brooke finally realizes that making wishes is a very delicate business, and the..."
Fairy Mom and Me

"Ella has the coolest mom ever because she's a fairy. Magic and all. The best part? Ella will be a..."
Granted

"Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is a young fairy in a very well-developed and complex fairy world. She is supposed to work..."
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)

"Luna, Ruby and May are back, and this time the glow globes that are to be used to illuminate the..."
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)

"Luna, Ruby and May are young fairies who live in Fairy Hill. They are learning magic and hope to get..."
Even Fairies Fart

"EVEN FAIRIES FART teaches that nobody's perfect. As children, we listen to fairy tales and dream of having perfect lives..."
A Pinch of Magic (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls #7)

"This series is gold to me. I enjoy so much about it. Each story has a..."
A Dandelion Wish (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 3)

"My daughter loves the fairies of Never Land, and this book series is as excellent as the movies. Plenty of..."
Wedding Wings (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 5)

"I've loved all the books in the Never Girls series. However, none have made me laugh out loud like..."
From the Mist (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 4

"The seven year old me would have been so excited to read this installment of the Never Girls Series. ..."
A Dandelion Wish (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 3)

"I keep coming back to this series because I love so many things about it. First, it's good, clean..."
Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order #1)

"Rise of the Darklings was a light read I'd recommend for anyone ages 8+. It was definitely a children's book,..."
The Space Between (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 2)

"What I loved: The second book in The Never Girls series picks up right where the first one left..."