Roman and the Hopeless Romantic Review
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

In the first book, we were introduced to Jesse’s sister, Cassie, and his best friend, Roman. After witnessing their mother’s murder, Cassie suffers from PTSD and anxiety. She has barely left the house or spoken to anyone outside her family in two years. Not even to Roman, who used to be her best friend too.

On the outside, Roman is this cocky, light-hearted hockey player, but he’s struggling to find where he belongs. Jesse’s family has been there for him more than his own, and when Roman’s parents decide to move halfway around the world, the Carrigans don’t hesitate to take him in. Well, all except Cassie. She hasn’t been able to talk to Roman in two years, and now she shares a bathroom with him.

Roman eases into Cassie’s life and works to help her move forward, while trying to get his best friend back. Together, they grow as individuals and as friends.

And the whole thing is just so stinking beautiful. I am low key obsessed with this book. I read it back in December (I know, I am super behind on reviews), and it instantly became one of my favorites of 2019. In fact, it made the top 3 list… out of 94 books.

Roman and Cassie both have a lot going on; Cassie’s struggles are just more apparent. These two are so lovable and relatable. Characters are vital for me, and both were so easy to connect to. They truly made me love the story from the very beginning. Actually, my love for them started in book one. Seeing their friendship mend and then grow into something more… It was just perfect.

There was so much emotion in this book. Between Cassie’s traumatic past and Roman feeling unworthy because his parents aren’t there for him, the reader is sucked in to their story, and Michelle does such an incredible job conveying all those feelings.

There are light moments too, though. Roman is obnoxious and funny, always trying to make situations easier. So, naturally, he’s now my favorite. He actually reminded me a lot of Becks from her other two series, Redefining Me and Discovering Me. Except Roman is slightly less ridiculous. Slightly.

Overall, this book was fantastic. I already want to re-read it. I cannot recommend it enough! Definitely check it out!

*Full original review on Functionally Fictional.
Good Points
- I don't even know what to put here because there are so many good points. The characters are wonderful, the story is well developed, and the whole thing is just amazing.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw...
My Book of Feelings (My World)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the Montessori method of education this unique board...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes...
Dark Stars

0.0 (0)
Dorothy finds herself completely alone. Roman is dead. The...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this...
Daughter of Darkness

0.0 (0)
She is destined to kill a demon. He is...
The Smile Shop

0.0 (0)
Critically-acclaimed author-illustrator Satoshi Kitamura (Hat Tricks) celebrates the value of...
Stanley's Lunch Box

0.0 (0)
Everyone’s favorite hard-working hamster Stanley introduces young readers to a...
What Are Unicorns Made Of?

0.0 (0)
Have you ever wondered what unicorns are made of? Are...
Grandfather Bowhead, Tell Me a Story

0.0 (0)
Richly illustrated and lovingly told, this book is a warm...

Latest Member Reviews

City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

"CITY OF SPELLS is a stunning conclusion to an enthralling YA fantasy duology. The book plunges us into the story..."
Christmas Parade

"CHRISTMAS PARADE is another cute and brightly colored board book from Boynton. In this book, children see a Christmas parade,..."
Best Friend in the Whole World

"BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WORLD is a sweet picture book about friends and doing the right thing. Roland lives..."
The Project

"What worked: This is one intense psychological tale of a girl trying to reconnect with her sister after she joins..."
The Threads of Magic

"Pip picks pockets to get food for himself and his sister, El. When he picks something unexpected, a mysterious box..."
Bird Show

"If birds had a fashion show, they would show off their unique plumage! BIRD SHOW is a brightly colored book..."
My Book of Feelings (My World)

"MY BOOK OF FEELINGS is a great conversation starter for emotions with toddlers. The book features spinning emoji faces of..."
Sweet & Bitter Magic

"SWEET & BITTER MAGIC is a lush and enthralling YA fantasy filled with magic, pain, and love. In this world,..."
The Smile Shop

"THE SMILE SHOP is a cute story about a young boy who is shopping for something special. He has a..."
Stanley's Lunch Box

"STANLEY'S LUNCH BOX is a cute board book that combines a favorite character with a shopping trip to the market...."
What Are Unicorns Made Of?

"WHAT ARE UNICORNS MADE OF? is a brightly colored board book that questions what makes a unicorn. The rhyming text..."
Grandfather Bowhead, Tell Me a Story

"GRANDFATHER BOWHEAD, TELL ME A STORY features a grandfather and grandson whale who are sharing stories. The grandchild asks for..."