Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

N/A
Editing/Design Quality 

Pawns by Patrick Hodges is the first book in the Wielders of Arantha series. Complex and creative don’t begin to explain the story weaved here. Following the lives of three very different women, Pawns is an exciting adventure off-planet, a last hope mission to save Earth from the invading Jegg.

The story begins with Maeve and her teenage son Davin. They’ve just escaped Earth and the Jegg, suffering devastating losses in the process. Losing their entire team of scientists including her own husband, Maeve and Davin are enroute to a primitive planet that holds a power that may stop the Jeggs once and for all. Despite their tragedy, Maeve and Davin are determined to complete the mission, and they won’t stop until they do.

Kelia is known as the Protectress, the leader of her women-only tribe. Long ago, their ancestors escaped slavery at the hands of men and now live in seclusion. Some are wielders, able to manipulate the elements, a gift from Arantha, the goddess they worship. Kelia is one such wielder, the most powerful which is why they call her Protectress. Her job is to keep her tribe safe and watch the signs Arantha sends her. A new vision of violence and an object falling from above lead her Maeve and Davin, where she learns that not all is as she thought.

Elzaria is also a wielder and sister to the usurper Elzor. Together they are burning the countryside, taking one kingdom at a time, in search of the mythical Stones. These stones are said to offer power to the wielder who holds them. Both are jaded and dangerous and haunt not only Kelia’s visions but that of the high mage.

Overall I really enjoyed Pawns. The world-building, Kelia and her tribe, and all the different characters bring the story to life on the pages. If you enjoy sci-fi, I highly recommend you grab a copy of this one. It does not disappoint.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...
Fae Hunter

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...
Rising

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Journey of the Pale Bear

"What an adventure I just had! From the moment, I opened the book, I was transported to the 13th century..."
On Snowden Mountain

"ON SNOWDEN MOUNTAIN is a heavy historical middle grade read, which deals with depression, alcoholism, war, domestic abuse/violence, and child..."
Catherine's War

"Catherine is living at the Sèvres Children's Home since both of her parents were taken. It has a progessive school,..."
The Madman of Piney Woods

"THE MADMAN OF PINEY WOODS follows two young boys in Canada as their lives are changing and intersecting. Benji Alston..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time #10)

"Ranger travels back in time via a magical first aid kit, and must stay until he figures out how to..."
Planet Earth is Blue

"Nova is severely autistic and verbally unintelligible, although she can manage simple things like "yes", "no", and some names. She..."
This Is Just A Test

"THIS IS JUST A TEST takes readers back to the year 1983. It follows David who is both Jewish and..."
With the Might of Angels (Dear America)

"Scholastic is bringing us new editions of the Dear America series and I couldn't be happier. I loved this series..."
Stone River Crossing

"Martha Tom lives in a town in the Choctaw Nation in 1804, right across the Bok Chitto River from a..."
Privateer's Apprentice

"Privateer themed books can so easily go the way of the ridiculous and over the top. Not so with Privateer’s..."
Unbound: A Novel in Verse

"All her life, Grace has been told the rules she must follow to survive: keep eyes down, keep mouth shut,..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"JOURNEY OF THE PALE BEAR is an inspiring and heartwarming story about a bear and a boy who develop a..."
G.I. Dogs: Sergeant Stubby, Hero Pup of World War I (G.I. Dogs #2)

"Stubby was adopted from the streets of Boston by Bob Conroy, who managed to sneak him on the ship his..."
Out of Left Field

"Ten-year-old Katy is a fantastic pitcher, so great that a local Little League coach encourages her to sign up for..."
Otherwise Known as Possum

"LizBetty Porter doesn't want to be called by her name-- she wants to be called Possum, which is what her..."
Al Capone Throws Me a Curve (Tales from Alcatraz)

"There are a lot of things going on for Moose now that summer is approaching. He desperately wants to be..."
The Orphan Band of Springdale

"The year is 1941, and Gusta and her father board a bus to make their way to Springdale, Maine so..."
Out of Left Field

"The year is 1957, and Katy Gordon is a fifth grade girl who just wants to play baseball. She's worked..."
The Orphan Band of Springdale

"Gusta Neubronner is on a bus from New York City to a small town in Maine in 1941 when her..."