Struggle and Heartache
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

'A Straw Man' by Amalie Jahn is the third and final installment in her 'Clay Lion' series. Melody, the sister of the main character in 'Tin Men' (the second in the series), is now in college. She and longtime boyfriend Nate are having their fair share of struggles, due mostly in part to the role Nate feels he played in a friend's untimely death. Despite it not really being his fault, he feels responsible, and Melody is having a hard time dealing with the strain that this has put on their relationship. She can't find a way to get through to Nate, to make him realize that the outcome was beyond his control. This, coupled with the fact that Nate is spiraling out of control and finding illegal ways to cope with the issue, threatens to tear them apart.

Melody considers traveling back in time to help him. She knows that if she does this, there can be terrible repercussions. She has witnessed this firsthand when her brother went back in time in 'Tin Men' and she doesn't want to deal with what might happen. Yet she knows that she needs to do something, and she doesn't see a way around taking the trip. She thinks she can certainly help him, but when she does so, something changes in the life she returns to that she can't wrap her head around. Life as she knows it can never be the same despite everyone else continuing on as if nothing has happened – because to them nothing did happen.

As Melody struggles with the ramifications of her time traveling, her life doesn't come together quite as she hoped it would. Her world becomes harder despite her attempts to make it easier. 'A Straw Man' provides in Melody a main character who, despite her most sincere attempts, finds herself at a crossroads that she can't ignore, and struggles with changes that can never be undone. A testimony to the heartache and pain that any decision can cause one to endure, 'A Straw Man' is a satisfying and engaging conclusion to Jahn's series.
Good Points
A testimony to the heartache and pain that any decision can cause one to endure, 'A Straw Man' is a satisfying and engaging conclusion to Jahn's series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Red at The Bone

0.0 (0)
Moving forward and backward in time, Jacqueline Woodson's taut and...
Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lunar Island is trying to heal. The necromantic plague that...
There Will Come a Darkness

0.0 (0)
The Age of Darkness approaches. Five lives stand...
Frankly in Love

0.0 (0)
wo friends. One fake dating scheme. What could possibly go...
Serpent & Dove

0.0 (0)
Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and...
American Royals

0.0 (0)
What if America had a royal family? If you can't...
Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, Book#4)

0.0 (0)
In the shocking finale to the bestselling series that began...
Five Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns Book, #4)

0.0 (0)
In the final book in the #1 New York Times...
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

0.0 (0)
With the future of the Great Library in doubt, the...

0.0 (0)
Whenever another kid goes missing in October, the kids in...

0.0 (0)
A crucial, genre-bending tale, equal parts Ned Vizzini and Patrick...

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming and poignant story that explores the bonds of...

0.0 (0)
Sana Khan is a cheerleader and a straight A student....
Crown of Dragons

0.0 (0)
The normal world is an illusion. Separated from other realms...

0.0 (0)
At seventeen, June Hardie is everything a young woman in...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and Erika...

Latest Member Reviews

Wish on all the Stars

"In this sequel to See You on a Starry Night, Juliet is getting used to living in San Diego and..."
The Other Side of Freedom

"I knew of Toney’s flawless ability to write from a modern teenage girl’s perspective, so was curious when I heard..."

"This stellar novel spotlights the trials of Italian immigrants during the era of Prohibition. I'd heard of Al Capone and..."

"I loved The Other Side of the Freedom - the writing, the story, the close-knit Italian family, and the early..."
Merci Suárez Changes Gears

"Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has..."
Picture Us in the Light

"I tried, but I just could not finish this book. I could only make it to chapter three. It is..."
Picture Us in the Light

"Danny Cheng appears to have it all--a tight-knit group of friends, a full ride to his school of choice, artistic..."
Flight Season

"Marquardt brilliantly weaves together a beautiful story about family, friends, and finding yourself. She shows how people facing very..."
The Sky at Our Feet

"When Jason sees his mother being taken away, his world is turned upside down and he's overcome by fear of..."
Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card

"What worked: This memoir is the account of an undocumented teen living in the US during the 90s. She gives..."
Washed Ashore

"One confusing passage involved Willie and Mr Wallace, fisherman and harbor master. Critical piece of the plot, but I had..."
One Good Thing About America

"Anais and her mother and brother Jean-Claud have moved to the United States from Congo, leaving behind her father, Oma,..."