For Aladdin Fans New and Old
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

After helping her sister Lalana escape with her true love, Zadie must face the consequences. The new sultan of Astaran was promised a beautiful and obedient wife, so Zadie must fill those shoes. But she's the polar opposite of her sister. She wants to be a part of making Astaran a better place, but she quickly learns that the sultan, Kassim, is very old fashioned. He believes that sultanans should rule gracefully and silently at the sultan's side.

When Zadie goes to Astaran, her freedom is limited and she feels like the walls are closing in. Kassim won't let Zadie in on what's going on in the city or allow her to come to the council meetings. Instead, she has to rely on overhearing their whispers. By doing this, Zadie learns that thieves are stealing from the castle. She wants to help find the culprit, so she must do what she does best: sneak around.

No matter what she discovers, Kassim won't hear a word. He thinks she is simply dreaming and brushes her findings off like it's nothing. But Zadie discovers a secret that's her own to keep and it has something to do with a ring and a djinni named Tarak.

I love how fast-paced this story is, but I wish it wouldn't have ended so soon! It definitely leaves you wanting more, which isn't a bad thing. I love how feisty Zadie is and that she won't let anyone back her into a corner, not even her future husband Kassim. I really wanted to like Kassim, but he's so old fashioned that instead, I wanted to slap him. I can't wait for the future books and hopefully see how he grows to accept Zadie as his wife and an equal. This book takes the old classic and twists it up for fans new and old to enjoy.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this to fans of fairytales, Aladdin, politics, strong female leads, action, and adventure. Zadie is a character that any girl can look up to and admire for her strength.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Lady Rogue

0.0 (0)
The Last Magician meets A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and...
A Very Pikmi Halloween (Pikmi Pops)

0.0 (0)
Pikmi Pops(TM) are the latest collectible craze! Join these cute...
Apocalypse Taco

0.0 (0)
Sid, Axl, and Ivan volunteer to make a late-night fast-food...
The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away

0.0 (0)
In this delightfully creepy novel from Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe...
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

0.0 (0)
Harry Black is lost between the world of war and...
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

0.0 (0)
Part of a super fun middle grade series, Awesome Achievers...
Kitty and the Moonlight Rescue

0.0 (0)
Girl by day. Cat by night. Ready for an adventure....

0.0 (0)
A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
The first I Can Read! book featuring beloved picture book...

0.0 (0)
In a beautiful anthology, ten children’s book greats share stories,...
Firebrand: The Initiation of Natali Presano (Firebrand, #1)

0.0 (0)
First time in print! The...

0.0 (0)
Sage Sassafras’s life is cursed! No, really. Since birth, Sage...
Naked Mole Rat Saves the World

0.0 (0)
Can Kit’s super-weird superpower save her world? ...
The Brokenhearted

0.0 (0)
teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and...

Latest Member Reviews

Bad Bella

"Bella lives with the McBrides, who have several small children and often forget Bella's needs. She gets in trouble for..."
Shake It Off! (Wish #8)

"Bria has made some poor choices concerning friends and social media back home in Chicago, so her parents have decided..."
Not if I Can Help It

"Willa has struggled with a sensory processing disorder her whole life, but with supportive parents and some occupational therapy, she..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"Reading Patron Saints of Nothing invokes a lot of emotions, especially for someone who’s socially aware of the current political..."
A Monster Calls

"4.5 Stars This low-fantasy middle grade story is at once hefty and heartrending—despite its relative brevity and target audience..."
Hoax for Hire

"This was a completely fresh and engaging novel! There are very few books about cryptids out there (Savage's Lemons, Smith's..."
Dough Boys (So Done #2)

"Simp and Rollie both live in the Cove, and are doing they best they can in a rough neighborhood. They..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
The Friendship Lie

"Cora and Kyle live in San Francisco with their father, who is an environmental scientist who studies where trash goes..."
Wish on all the Stars

"In this sequel to See You on a Starry Night, Juliet is getting used to living in San Diego and..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"Tiffany D. Jackson has knocked it out of the park yet again with LET ME HEAR A RHYME. When Steph..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"I'm not sure which the character I loved the most. It is one of those heartfelt stories about a group..."
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly

"Told entirely from the first-person perspective of Minnow, beginning from the point she is arrested and placed in a juvenile..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"What worked: This is an amazing glimpse into the life of Macy. Others say she's 'disturbed', but she's the kind..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"The Disturbed Girl’s Dictionary is as disturbing as its name implies. While, in an effort to not trivialize or..."
Right as Rain

"Rain's family has experienced a tragedy-- her older brother was killed in a car accident. The mother thinks that the..."
Fangirl

""Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have..."
What If It's Us

"So… here we are. We’ve been blessed by possibly the most anticipated collaboration from two YA authors, so how could..."
Clementine for Christmas

"Josie loves Christmas, especially making memories with her dog Clementine volunteering at the children's hospital. Oscar's parents are always fighting..."
Merci Suárez Changes Gears

"Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has..."