Such a good read!
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

This story kept me engaged from the first page to the last.

The Story:
Violet is a new student at the Shelfbrook Academy boarding school. After a mix up with her room assignment due to her twin brother deciding not to enroll, she finds herself living in the boy's dorms and posting on the school's online community under her brother's name. When everything about her life at school is feeling fake, she develops real feelings for Owen. But what will he do when he learns the boy giving him advice online is the same girl he can't stop thinking about?

What I liked:
There's an earnestness in this book. It would be so easy for us not to like Violet. She's lying to everyone in her life, some pretty big lies, yet we root for her because she's so endearing. That takes skill as a writer. Owen doesn't deserve to be lied to, but I never once felt like he wasn't meant to be with Violet. Her blossoming friendship with Lily is much the same way. There are lies between them, but so much more than that.
I LOVED seeing Lily come into her own and decide who she wanted to be. The book draws strong comparisons to a certain movie, but that's the nature of retellings of old tales. Besides, I happen to adore every single version of this old story I've seen or read. This one is no different.

What was just okay:
I wish Owen was a bit stronger. He's obsessed with an ex who obviously doesn't want him - to the point of completely crushing another girl who is perfect for him. I wanted to punch him at times, but other times, I loved him.

Final Verdict:
An entertaining retelling with fresh ideas, endearing characters, and a storyline you'll want to read in a single sitting.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...

Latest Member Reviews

Fangs & Fins

"Ivy and Ember are thrown together when their parents marry. One a popular girl, the other a bookworm, they start..."
Teeth in the Mist

"Deliciously creepy, shocking at every turn, and unexpectedly horrific, TEETH IN THE MIST is an intense page-turner. Fitting the supernatural..."
Storm and Fury

"With Armentrout’s characteristic snark and swoony romance, STORM AND FURY will not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this..."
Storm and Fury

"Trinity has never been allowed to leave her home compound because of her secret. Here, she has friends, a protector,..."

"This is a very good book to read if you're into fantasy and teen romance. I really enjoy reading this..."
White Stag: A Novel (Permafrost, #1)

"WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."
Fresh Ink: An Anthology

"Anthologies have such a special place in my heart. The art of the short story is undervalued and it’s just..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"An amazing conclusion to this epic paranormal series! It did leave it open for the possibilities of more books but..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"Another amazing book in this series! These definitely need to be read in order to be enjoyed and understood. I..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"An exciting and fast paced read, that draws you in from the first page. I really felt for Cassidy. She's..."
Soul Screamers, Vol. 1: My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul tSave (Soul Screamers 0.5-2)

"This collection consists of a novella and two short novels put together in a first "volume." As they are pretty..."
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3)

""Blue Lily, Lily Blue" is a captivating, haunting continuation of the Raven Boys series. Here, Blue's mother is missing after..."
The Collector (Dante Walker #1)

"I have some mixed feelings. "The Collector" follows Dante in the first person- he is telling us his story. Dante..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Agony House

"Denise Farber and her mother and stepfather have moved back to New Orleans. Denise lost her grandmother and father to..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)

""Bewitching" continues the story of the witch Kendra and retells multiple fairytales. The book begins with her origin story, losing..."