Review Detail

Adventure, Romance, and Betrayal...what more could you ask for?
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Prophecy of Darkness by Michelle Bryan, M. Lynn is an exciting, new fantasy about a land whose magic is gone. Without magic, the kingdom of Dreach-Sciene is dying, nothing grows, famine looms and rebellions are beginning to pop up. Their only hope is a prophecy that talks about the legendary Tri-Gard, reuniting them and bringing magic back to the land.

So the beginning of this book has a bit of a slow pace as the authors set the stage and develop the world. However it picks up quickly and I found that I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough! Prince Trystan was an easy character to like. His transition from spoiled prince to Toha is one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. You have a prince who isn’t ready to take on the responsibility of the kingdom, yet he dons the new title without hesitation, ready to face the darkness and save his people.

In addition to Trystan though are his friends and sister. Rissa is probably my favorite character of the book. She’s a force to be reckoned with and I dare anyone to try and stop her. As princess, it is expected she act as such, yet she reminds me a little of Merida from Disney’s Brave. She’s not the typical princess, she wants to fight beside her brother against the oncoming darkness instead of sit back at the palace. Trained along side her brother and Davion, Rissa is capable of defending herself, and she is a better shot than both the boys.

Trystan along with his sister, best friend Davion, and Lady Alixa begin the long journey to find the Tri-Gard and stop the dark from rising. Their journey is filled with perils and adventure, but also hardship. The journey acts as an eye opener for Trystan and Rissa. They see for the first time what their people in the villages are facing and become even more determined to find the legendary Tri-Gard, despite not believing in magic (at least Trystan doesn’t).

Full of action and adventure, entangled romance, and betrayal, Prophecy of Darkness is one of my favorite reads of the year. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys epic fantasy, Throne of Glass or Game of Thrones. It doesn’t disappoint!

*This review first appeared on Mom with a Reading Problem: https://www.momwithareadingproblem.com/2017/11/review-prophecy-darkness-michelle-bryan-michelle-lynn/
Good Points
-Alternating Points of View give readers a full picture of characters and setting
-Magical kingdom that has lost its magic
-Blend of fantasy and adventure you don't want to miss
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

Shake It Off! (Wish #8)

"Bria has made some poor choices concerning friends and social media back home in Chicago, so her parents have decided..."
Not if I Can Help It

"Willa has struggled with a sensory processing disorder her whole life, but with supportive parents and some occupational therapy, she..."
My Fate According To The Butterfly

"My Fate According to the Butterfly is probably the first Middle Grade novel I’ve read in a very long time...."

"The Book case is a perfectly suitable mystery, with a cast of characters that will amuse readers both young and..."
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

"Though rich and vibrant in illustrations and culture, Sarai and the Around the World Fair is a slow-mover. ..."
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

"Absolute fun is one way to summarize The Pepper Party Picks the Perfect Pet. Perfectly placed and brilliant illustrations helped..."
Ready, Set, Drive!

"READY, SET, DRIVE will take your child's imagination for a ride. Each page has a different scenario for the reader..."
A Friend For Dragon

"All Dragon wants is a friend, but doesn't have any luck. The squirrel is too busy, the hippo is too..."
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go on a Class Trip (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #3)

"Library copy Sassy and Waldo are super excited to go to the city museum (even though their..."
Bentley (The Puppy Place #53)

"Bentley is a story for children who love dogs, and for children who can read on their own ages 7-12,..."
The Light Jar

"Nate and his mother leave their home in the middle of the night to get away from Gary, an emotionally..."
Because of the Rabbit

"Emma's father is a game warden, and when she accompanies him on a rabbit rescue, she falls in love with..."
Animal Stories (BOB Books)

"The pacing and simplistic words in the set ANIMAL STORIES (BOB BOOKS) is just what the emerging reader needs. The..."
Unicorn Treasure Hunt

"When Treasure receives a mysterious package, she opens it to reveal a treasure map. She has to follow the clues..."
The Three Little Superpigs: Once Upon a Time

"THE THREE LITTLE SUPERPIGS: ONCE UPON A TIME is an adorable and fun retelling of the classic story of the..."
Focused

"lea really wants to do well in school, and thinks it is her own fault that she doesn't get all..."
Maybe Tomorrow?

"MAYBE TOMORROW covers some big and important topics in an approachable way, mainly friendship and grief/depression. Elba carries around a..."
The Very Impatient Caterpillar

"THE VERY IMPATIENT CATERPILLAR is a laugh-out-loud story that will charm parents and young children alike. The very impatient caterpillar..."
Yay for Vaycay! (Pug Pals #2)

"Sunny and Rosy's human packs for vacation, but doesn't take her beloved dogs with her! Instead, they get to visit..."
Braced

"Rachel is very concerned about starting middle school and getting a good position on the soccer team. She is struggling..."