Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Feedback

I absolutely loved this book and looking back I’m honestly a little surprised. Hear me out! This book is pretty much about Vhalla finding out she has magic, a very rare magic, and can’t decide whether she wants to keep it or have it removed. And that’s pretty much it. There isn’t much that happens in the book besides her going back and forth with this issue. Usually, I hate books like this. However, Kovak wrote this book in such an amazing way that my interest was held the entire time and I wasn’t even annoyed by Vhalla’s indecision. Air Awakens is essentially an introduction to this world and the characters the series is going to follow. But it works. I loved learning the history of this world and I still feel like there is so much more that I will learn. Along with that, it was never boring. Each piece of history was given in such an interesting way that I never felt like it was too much or unnecessary. The plot build up was fantastic and when action was finally introduced, it only made sense. Throughout the whole book I was invested and it was just when I sat down to write this review I realized that there wasn’t much to it. The simplicity works though. If too much was given then I feel like it would have been too confusing. Kovak really took her time to build up everything very successfully.

Along with a great background story buildup, I loved these characters. Vhalla speaks to my soul. Maybe it’s because she loves learning and working in the library? Maybe it was the fact that she got this amazing power but didn’t immediately want it? To me, Vhalla is such a great character. I could only imagine that some people who get such a rare power that they would get power hungry. Instead, Vhalla really takes the time to try to understand what this means for her and if she could be happy with it. She doesn’t want to be anyone special and is such a humble character. I really can’t wait to continue her story and see how powerful and strong she gets. Aldrik is everything. As the crowned prince and a magic wielder, he is not the nicest person. The rumors say he is rude and not friendly. And that’s not entirely false. This is why I loved his character so much. He isn’t a pretend to be bad boy but really soft inside. Kovak shows that he can be crude and unapologetic and flawed. Which completely works for his character. He softens around Vhalla but that’s because she challenges him. And of course they are a hate to love, which I’m a complete sucker for! All of the characters in this novel compliment the story. There were many characters I wasn’t sure how they were going to play out and I still don’t know, especially Prince Baldair. I’m still not 100% sure if I can trust his character AND I LOVE IT!

Final Thoughts

Overall, Air Awakens by Elise Kovak is a fantastic novel. Even though the book is essentially a buildup of the story and characters - it completely works. Kovak’s fantastic writing doesn’t make it boring but instead engaging. I loved learning about this world and can’t wait to learn more about it. The characters were fantastically developed and I know it’s only the beginning. Every detail was important and nothing ever felt tedious or boring. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is looking to engage in a series that is going be epic - the first book is just the lead up.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Lady Rogue

0.0 (0)
The Last Magician meets A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris...
Playing by Heart

5.0 (2)
Emilia Salvini dreams of marrying a man who loves...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate,...
Frozen Hearts

0.0 (0)
A runaway teenager. A rogue android. A mystery hidden...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...

Latest Member Reviews

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"The story: Hua Minglan will sacrifice everything to avenge the death of her sister, and when war threatens her..."
Darkblood Academy

"AWESOME"
Falling For My Nemesis

"Mia and Carson have always had it out for each other. But when Carson hits Mia in the face with..."
The Mall

"Cassie Worthy won't let a little thing like Mono hold her back from completing the Plan. It's the summer of..."
TBH, This is SO Awkward

"'TBH, This is SO Awkward: A Novel in Text' by Lisa Greenwald is quite interesting in that it is written..."

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."

"This was an adventure from start to finish. I love Polly and her determination to not give up. Gorgeous setting..."
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

"SALTY, BITTER, SWEET is a book about family, forgiveness, grief, and following your passion. Isabella dreams of being a world-class..."
The N Word

"'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book..."
My Name is Erin, and My Mom's an Addict

"Erin Whitaker's father is dead and her mother is a drug addict. When she is very young her mother..."
Spoken

"Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn..."

"break your glass slippers is the first book in the poetry series, “you are your own fairy tale,” by award-winning..."
The Upside of Falling

"THE UPSIDE OF FALLING is a YA contemporary romance by Wattpad author Alex Light. The story follows Becca Hart, an..."
The Winter Duke

"THE WINTER DUKE is a thrilling YA fantasy that takes place in a world where magic is controlled by a..."
Most Likely (Most Likely, #1)

"MOST LIKELY is a fantastic YA contemporary about friendship. The book starts with a woman becoming president and reflecting back..."
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

Look Both Ways

"I often hear it said that writers are bred, and sure you can breed some decent writers with whatever amount..."

"This is a beautiful book—both in how it is designed and how it is written. The prose is lyrical, yet..."