World-Building at its Finest
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Shock of Fate by D.L. Armillei is the first in the Anchoress series. Aside from the gorgeous cover (y’all seriously, I’m drooling over here), the blurb hoooked me. Alternate realities/dimensions are a favorite of mine, and this one doesn’t disappoint.

Vanessa Cross, Van for short, lives on Providence Island, a small reservation off the coast of Maine (I believe). For her, life on the island is all she knows and all she wants. When offered a special summer “project” on the reservation, she can’t really turn it down. Her father is missing and rumored a traitor, so turning it down isn’t an option. This is unlike anything she has ever faced. The “project” is in another world that runs parallel to our own. Van takes this in stride. It doesn’t phase her, unlike me. I would have freaked, especially at 15. She just wants to get it over with, find her dad, and return to her beloved island. If only it were that simple…

So I like and dislike Van. She is a force to be reckoned with and will not take no for an answer, and when faced with a no, she finds another way. She will do what she wants, when she wants. You see, Van is rich on the island. She lives in a fancy house and wants for nothing. She’s a pampered princess, as one character points out in the beginning of the story. Being spoiled and acting out as a result of it annoyed me, however it is essential for her character growth to establish her selfish nature so she can be redeemed.

When Van finds out she is going to the Living World (this is what the alternate dimension is called) and can’t take her best friend, she finds a way to sneak her in anyways. Once discovered, there is no time to return Paley so she is along for the adventure. If Van is unlikable, Paley is doubly so. Now I need to preface this before I go on. I’m an adult with a child reading a YA book. Usually I read older characters, so I give Paley and Van a pass for their immaturity and overlook a lot of their bickering while reading.

Back to Paley….she is immature. Raised in the island’s orphanage, she is jealous of what Van has, even though Van has never held her status or riches above her. Instead Van has always shared with Paley and is her fiercest defender. Despite being jealous of Van, Paley does love her. She is her best friend. When push comes to shove, Paley will always have Van’s back and vice versa. I love how the author shows this through their interactions. It’s a rare find in YA books to see a platonic friendship as strong as theirs.

The plot of Shock of Fate takes place in the Living World. Van, along with a Paley and her assigned group of Grigori (demon hunters/warriors) in training, are to find the Coin of Creation. The coin has the power to defeat the darkness. This quest takes Van across the Living World into enemy territory. The world-building here is perfection! The creatures, the landscape, the rain, muck and food, all of it is vividly described. I could feel, taste, smell, see and hear it all.

Overall I enjoyed Shock of Fate. I was hesitant at first because of the immaturity I mentioned earlier, however it gives the characters a chance to grow and change in a natural way. With each obstacle Van faces, I noticed the changes in her, how they affected her, changes for the good. I cannot wait for more of Van’s story. Shock of Fate is the perfect mix of fantasy and adventure as Van discovers who she was destined to be.
Good Points
-Perfect blend of fantasy and adventure
-Phenomenal world-building
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

Adaptive

"The story: Lune Avery has survived the Elite Trials and escaped the clutches of her tyrant father,..."
Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed

"The story: Sheltered high school junior Andrea Cavanaugh believes she hits the jackpot when Josh McMillan, a..."
The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

"Witty, clever, and full of mischief, THE FOWL TWINS is a spin-off of ARTEMIS FOWL that easily stands on its..."
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

"KAI AND THE MONKEY KING is an engaging and thrilling installment in the Brownstone's Mythical Collection series. In this book,..."

"This darker and grittier sequel of Issaura's Claws, steers readers on a journey outside the kingdom of Elysia into the..."
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

"An excellent read for children who love machines and/or space, ASTRO KITTENS: INTO THE UNKNOWN takes preschoolers for an unforgettable..."
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

"Wish you could teach your toddler about outer space and the basis for science-fiction? If so- or you just love..."
All the Things We Do in the Dark

"ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements...."
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

"THE RUBICUS PROPHECY is an engaging second book in the WITCHES OF ORKNEY series that follows the same friends on..."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."
Serpent & Dove

"Lou is on the run from her family and she lives a thieving life with her friend Coco. Both of..."
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

"When Dad tells Nancy stories about when he and Mom used to go camping, Nancy knows it's something she has..."
Harry Potter Origami

"Scholastic Inc brings origami and Harry Potter together in this book with fifteen foldable crafts! Each one has a different..."
By Any Means Necessary

"BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY is an engaging contemporary YA that presents some issues very well. The writing is in a..."
On the Come Up

"ON THE COME UP is a fantastic new YA contemporary that handles big issues like racism and sexism. The characters..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"FIREBORNE is a new YA fantasy that follows two teens, Lee and Anna (Antigone) in alternating points-of-view. Lee and Anna..."
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

"As Middle Grade graphic novel adaptations go, this urban fantasy is above par. The artwork has a bit..."
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

"INTO THE CROOKED PLACE is an engaging YA fantasy that follows five characters on a quest of aligned goals- even..."
To Kill a Kingdom

"TO KILL A KINGDOM is a wonderful YA fantasy about a siren and a pirate. Told in alternating points of..."