Contemporary Romance with Aladdin Elements
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

THE SECRET LIVES OF PRINCESSES brings elements of Aladdin (one of my favorite fairy tales) into today's society. Jasmine has always had trouble figuring out who she really is. She feels like she constantly puts on a facade because her home life isn't as great as it seems. At school, everything seems perfect to others, except Ollie.

Ollie is the school bad boy and Jasmine's worst enemy. However, no matter how irritating he his, Ollie challenges Jasmine in a new way with the upcoming art project at school. He encourages her to become better. A romance may not be encouraged between these two people, but that doesn't stop it from blossoming. What Jasmine doesn't know is Ollie has a secret that will change everything, especially the way she sees him.

The is my first book by Seven Steps, but I'm interested in reading the others as well. I love fairytale retellings and Seven Steps does it in a unique way. Her book contains elements of the original Aladdin story, but she keeps it modern. The story takes place in a high school instead of the desert sands.

I absolutely loved Ollie's character. Yes, I'm a sucker for the bad boys, but there was something different about him that held my attention. I also could relate to Jasmine's character. Both of their characters are believable and realistic which keeps us grounded in the real world instead of the magic of fairy tales.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this to fans of Aladdin, contemporary romance, bad boys, and realistic characters.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Apocalypse Taco

0.0 (0)
Sid, Axl, and Ivan volunteer to make a late-night fast-food...
The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away

0.0 (0)
In this delightfully creepy novel from Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe...
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

0.0 (0)
Harry Black is lost between the world of war and...
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

0.0 (0)
Part of a super fun middle grade series, Awesome Achievers...
Kitty and the Moonlight Rescue

0.0 (0)
Girl by day. Cat by night. Ready for an adventure....

0.0 (0)
A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
The first I Can Read! book featuring beloved picture book...

0.0 (0)
In a beautiful anthology, ten children’s book greats share stories,...
Firebrand: The Initiation of Natali Presano (Firebrand, #1)

0.0 (0)
First time in print! The...

0.0 (0)
Sage Sassafras’s life is cursed! No, really. Since birth, Sage...

Latest Member Reviews

Truly Madly Royally

"I’d be lying if I didn’t say that half of the reason why I read this was because it’s a..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"THE BURNING SHADOW is a fantastic and thrilling continuation of the spin-off Origin series. Just like the original series, there..."
Announcing Trouble

"Making me smile all the way through, ANNOUNCING TROUBLE was a pure delight. Josie is almost eighteen with an enormous..."
Truly Madly Royally

"Truly Madly Royally was a cute-ish read that lacked a certain something to take it fully over the edge. ..."
As Far as the Stars

"AS FAR AS THE STARS is a slow-burning book about overwhelming grief. Air (Ariadne) is a high schooler with heaps..."
Not Now, Not Ever

"Lily Anderson’s sophomore novel follows Elliot "Ever" Gabaroche during an intense summer program to compete for a scholarship. It’s Not..."
10 Blind Dates

"10 BLIND DATES is the must-read romantic comedy of the fall! Sophie is staying with her grandparents and her very..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
The Deceiver's Heart

"THE DECEIVER'S HEART opens in an epic way. Kestra tries to kill Lord Endrick, but fails and tries to escape..."
The Dark Beneath the Ice

"THE DARK BENEATH THE ICE is a stunningly written YA horror that follows Marianne as she starts losing time, sees..."
Again, But Better

"The author’s writing style makes this book a joy to read from start to finish. I started reading it on..."
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

"If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to..."
The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight, #1)

"THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT is a lush YA fantasy that follows two primary characters in alternating points-of-view. Esha is known..."
Quarantine: A Love Story

"QUARANTINE is told in alternating perspectives between two teens, Oliver and Flora. They were each in the Dominican Republic for..."
In the Neighborhood of True

"After her father's untimely death, Ruth Robb's mother uproots her and her little sister from New York City to Atlanta,..."
Kiss Collector

"Finally! A freaking book that looks down on drugs. I was so nervous when right off the bat, we get..."
Nick and June Were Here

"Shalanda Stanley's DROWNING IS INEVITABLE is one of my top underappreciated books, so I was thrilled to receive a copy..."
Belly Up

"When Serendipity "Sara" Rodriguez sees her ex with his new girlfriend, she finds herself eager and ready to have fun..."
Mera: Tidebreaker

"Mera: Tidebreaker is the first in DC's new DC Ink line, and with Aquaman's recent release, it's not surprise this..."
There's Something About Sweetie

"Sandhya Menon's backlist is full of romantic, heartfelt stories, and THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE is no exception. Sweetie Nair is..."