Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

The story:

Teen spy team The Gems (Emma, Olivia, Nadia, and Miyuki) have gelled as a team and now undertake dangerous missions while trying to maintain their cover as everyday high-school students. One day, a mysterious boy named Robert crosses their paths. Turns out Robert hides one whopper of a secret, and before long, the girls embark on a road trip, hoping to keep him safe from both the Feds and some unsavory Chinese baddies.

What I loved:

Each of the four girls has a very distinct personality, and are not just carbon copies of each other. Said personalities tend to clash (as often happens between friends), but in the end, they are a team. In this installment, we learn a lot about Nadia, her Muslim background, and her burgeoning feelings for a boy she can’t have.

As with the first book in the series, this story is not meant to be taken terribly seriously – think of like the Charlie’s Angels movies with some teen-girl angst thrown in. I did like that the interaction between the girls, which was barely there in the first book, was explored more here.

What I didn’t love:

The lack of seriousness, however, also prove to be kind of a detriment. It seems unfathomable that four teenage girls would be sent on dangerous missions with so little experience. Most of them didn’t have the hard edge spies need to make the tough decisions, which makes me wonder just how seriously they take their jobs. When it came to protecting Robert, the tone shifted from dangerous to awkward to silly in a heartbeat, and that was a little jarring.

My Final Verdict:

Espionage thrillers are a small sub-niche of YA literature, and while this book was enjoyable enough, I didn’t like it as much as the first one. Nadia is a great character, but many of the others are still underdeveloped. The action scenes are good but not spectacular, and I maintain this series can be a good pickup for teenage girls who like kick-butt heroines.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Take Me Home: Forests of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...

Latest Member Reviews

I Am Not a Penguin

"I AM NOT A PENGUIN is a silly picture book that manages to teach young readers about pangolins. A pangolin..."
A House for Every Bird

"A HOUSE FOR EVERY BIRD is an imaginative picture book that emphasizes the importance of not making assumptions about birds..."
American Betiya

"AMERICAN BETIYA is a breathtaking contemporary read about identity, family, and racism. Rani is an Indian American with dreams of..."
Elevator Bird

"ELEVATOR BIRD is a cute picture book about making your friends' dreams come true. Elevator Bird is an essential part..."
On the Go Awesome

"ON THE GO AWESOME is a great pick for vehicle lovers. The book talks about different types of vehicles, including..."
Full Disclosure

"Simone is ready for a new start. She's at a new school, joined the drama department, and has developed a..."
A Wolf for a Spell

"Zima is struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of her pack ever since her parents died in a fire..."
DEV1AT3

"Feedback What a difference between book 1 and book 2. I enjoyed this one so much more, and I..."

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."
The Book Thief

"This book was so good that I cried in the end. Yes, literally. Markus Zusak's writing is clear, bold, and..."
A Cloud of Outrageous Blue

"A CLOUD OF OUTRAGEOUS BLUE is a historical fiction read that takes the reader to 1348-1349. Edyth grew up with..."
Breathless

"BREATHLESS is a book about change, secrets, and the aftermath. Claudine (Claude) is about to graduate high school, and she..."