Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

The story:

A childhood tragedy forces Sable to flee her home, change her identity, and eke out a meager existence in a land that doesn’t want her there. When her past catches up to her, she’s forced seek protection from Jos, a mysterious man with a past of his own. With an evil necromancer on her tail, Sable must finally face what she’s tried do desperately to escape.

What I loved:

I adored Barbara Kloss’s Pandoran series because of her phenomenal world-building and beautiful writing style, and Gods of Men continued that pattern. Sable and Jos are portrayed as flawed individuals, struggling to find their place in a world rampant with prejudice and cruelty. I worried they would not have much chemistry when they finally met, but I was wrong. Their story arcs, both together and separate, are compelling and wonderfully written.

What I didn’t love:

Honestly … nothing comes to mind.

My Final Verdict:

Some authors’ works a good. Some are great. And some are in that upper echelon where you know you’re going to love it before you’ve even read a single word. Barbara Kloss is in that category for me, and I think she will be for you too.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more to...
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

0.0 (0)
Set in the world of the New York Times–bestselling Winner’s...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the throne....
Most Likely (Most Likely, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the creator of the hit TV series The Bold...
Look Both Ways

0.0 (0)
This story was going to begin like all the best...
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

5.0 (1)
"The truth was, I wasn’t on anyone’s side except Claire’s....
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

0.0 (0)
After being killed by demons, former angel Adam wakes up...
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

5.0 (1)
"It came out of nowhere. A sweep of emotions. Love,...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris were...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain sight...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo, a...
Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Famous by Default

0.0 (0)
Jax Buried, By my family's fame. Dying to escape...
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

0.0 (0)
With the future of the Great Library in doubt,...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...

Latest Member Reviews

The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

"THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book...."
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

"THE RUBICUS PROPHECY is an engaging second book in the WITCHES OF ORKNEY series that follows the same friends on..."
Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)

"HILDA AND THE MOUNTAIN KING is an engaging and thrilling children's fantasy adventure. This graphic novel tells the story of..."
The Twelve

"Usagi lives in a world where some children are born with extraordinary powers, either ones that are animal like qualities..."

"After his adventures in My Magical Life and The Magical Mix-Up , Zach has reawakened his magical abilities, but is..."
Emily Windsnap and the Pirate Prince (Emily Windsnap, #8)

"EMILY WINDSNAP AND THE PIRATE PRINCE is the eighth book in the Emily Windsnap series, but easily functions as a..."
Game of Stars  (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2)

"Kiran has survived her ordeals in The Serpent's Secret, and is back in Parsippany, New Jersey. and is trying to..."
Let Sleeping Dragons Lie (Have Sword, Will Travel #2)

"Sir Eleanor and Sir Odo are back with their respective talking swords. After the death of Sir Halfdan and the..."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby and Jonah take another trip through their magic mirror after being told their grounded from technology. This time, it..."

"Kiranmala has always been irritated by her parents' insistance that she be an "Indian princess" for Halloween, since her life..."
Battle for Bearhaven (Secrets of Bearhaven #4)

"Spencer has enjoyed being with the bears in Bearhaven, especially with his friend, Kate, but the bears have not had..."
Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)

"In the WHATEVER AFTER SERIES, brother and sister Abby and Jonah have a magical mirror in their basement. The fairy..."
Going Wild #2: Predator vs. Prey

"After getting involved with Project Chimera in Going Wild, Charlie and her mother and brother Andy are struggling with the..."
Will Wilder #2: The Lost Staff of Wonders

"In THE LOST STAFF OF WONDERS, the legendary staff of Moses is stolen by a powerful demon named Amon who..."
The Gumazing Gum Girl!, Book 2 Gum Luck (A Gum Girl Novel)

"Having saved a plane from certain disaster in Gum Girl, Gabby Gomez is back. She's bound and determined to tell..."
The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels #1)

"This is the first instalment in the bestselling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The first two books have even..."
Wild Born (Spirit Animals #1)

"Four children, Abeke, Meilin, Conor and Rollan, undergo a sacred ceremony and are forever bonded to four spirit animals; a..."
The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre

"Lady Peregrine is a Lakti, and her mother has taught her that the Bamarre are far inferior to her people..."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby is having a bad day-- she and her brother Jonah break a lamp playing duckball in the house, they..."
The Blazing Bridge (The Blood Guard Book 3)

"Like the other books in this series, there are plenty of car chases, things exploding, and a fabulous gamer geek..."