(Updated: January 06, 2017)
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Sixteen-year-old Adele Le Moyne returns to New Orleans after the hurricane of the century hits. Everything is in chaos including her home but when more people show up dead, unanswered questions circulate.

What worked: The whole New Orleans backdrop adds flavor to this story where a girl finds she played a part in unleashing a centuries old evil. Mysterious, with Gothic undertones, the tension builds halfway through the novel. The pacing was slow at times but when some mysteries are revealed, including an ancestor's journal from 1728, I was hooked. The tone of the novel reminded me so much of YA meets The Originals complete with some hot vampires and other paranormal creatures. Add a dollop of The Secret Circle on how Adele and some others in the town try to combat the evil. I also loved the symbolism of a hurricane causing supernatural havoc to the city.

Adele's character is strong and determined to make sense of what has happened to her beloved city. The conflict between her mother in Paris is realistic. Seriously, what girl would want to leave Paris unless not everything is what it appears to be. Readers find out at the very end the truth of her mother.

There's more characters which include Desiree, the daughter of the local voodoo shop; some high school drama at the private school(I almost felt this part went by too fast); some other New Orleans friends and family. But the main character had to be the city of New Orleans and the French Quarter which are shown in vivid and colorful descriptions. I felt as if I walked the streets and alleys. I wanted more of this!

One thing that I felt did hold this otherwise engaging story back had to be that there seemed to be almost too much going on. There are vamps, werewolves, a cute boy that turns into a crow, a girl that practices voodoo, witchcraft, and a number of other supernatural beings. The story of Issac, for example, I felt wasn't explained enough. I really wanted to see more of his story.

Magically, Gothic trip through the streets of New Orleans where a horrible secret is unleashed after the hurricane of the century.
Good Points
1. Intriguing glimpse of New Orleans during early 1700s
2. YA meets The Originals
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Thomas Edison: Lighting the Way

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Ghost Wood Song

4.0 (1)
Sawkill Girls meets Beautiful Creatures in this lush and eerie...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story with a message as big as an...
The State of Us

0.0 (0)
"Dre and Dean have got my vote!"—Adib Khorram, award-winning...
My Calamity Jane

0.0 (0)
Welcome to 1876 America, a place bursting with gunslingers,...
Little Creeping Things

0.0 (0)
A compulsively readable debut with a narrator you just...

Latest Member Reviews

Thomas Edison: Lighting the Way

"'Thomas Edison: Lighting the Way,' an I Can Read book by Lori Haskins Houran, illustrated by Gustavo Mazali, is a..."
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

"'Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From' by Patrick Skipworth, illustrated by Nicholas Stevenson, is a creative book that..."
Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

"ADORABLE PETS is full of quotes and pictures about animals. As the title suggests, the pictures are so cute and..."
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

"Seriously, this book is huge and gorgeous on a creative level, and a treasure trove of knowledge on an academic..."
1,000 Facts About Ancient Egypt

"1,000 Facts about Ancient Egypt is a National Geographic KIDS book chock full of amazing facts about one of the..."
Flower Power: The Magic of Nature's Healers

"Flower Power is a truly stunning book. The large-scale pages look like paintings (I kind of want to frame them!)..."
Ready, Set, Go!: Sports of All Sorts

"READY, SET, GO!: SPORTS OF ALL SORTS is a fun trip through different sports. The book features rhyming phrases about..."
More than Marmalade: Michael Bond and the Story of Paddington Bear

"More than Marmalade is such a PRECIOUS book. It’s rare that I read a book in one sitting nowadays (due..."
Action Presidents #1: George Washington!

"That story about chopping down the cherry tree that has been trotted out a million times and made into thousands..."
The Ocean in Your Bathtub

"THE OCEAN IN YOUR BATHTUB is an informative picture book about how we interact with the ocean, often without realizing..."
Nelson Mandela

"NELSON MANDELA is a biographical picture book about Nelson Mandela. The book features a poem to describe the basics of..."
Nonsense! The Curious Story of Edward Gorey

"NONSENSE! THE CURIOUS STORY OF EDWARD GOREY is a fantastic biography in the form of poetry and images that are..."
I (Heart) Art: The Work We Love from The Metropolitan Museum of Art

"This beautiful little book highlights famous artwork from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Categorized into themes of..."
Rescuing the Declaration of Independence: How We Almost Lost the Words That Built America

"RESCUING THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE takes place during the War of 1812. In 1814, the British invade Washington. James Monroe,..."
Baby Paleontologist (Baby Scientist)

"BABY PALEONTOLOGIST teaches about the different things a paleontologist does. It explains how they dig for fossils and how each..."
Thump Goes the Rabbit: How Animals Communicate (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1)

"THUMP GOES THE RABBIT teaches about the different ways animals communicate besides just their voice. For example, rabbits thump their..."
Doggy Defenders: Stella the Search Dog

"Do you have an inquisitive child who loves animals? If you answered yes, then they will love this book! Doggy..."
Doggy Defenders: Tiger the Police Dog

"Do you have a child interested in being a policeman? Then they will love this book! In the new series..."
Doggy Defenders: Willow the Therapy Dog

"Can a dog provide therapy? What kind of therapy? Find the answers to these questions and more in National Geographic..."
Doggy Defenders: Dolley the Fire Dog

"Is your child interested in being a firefighter? Do they love dogs? Then this book is for them! Doggy Defenders..."