Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: Maddy was the star of the book and I genuinely liked her. Her view on the world, limited as it was, was great. She’s book lover, so that’s already a plus in her favor. She also has a Tumblr book blog and her one-lined reviews were spot on and entertaining. I also really loved all the drawings. They were probably my favorite part of the book. I’m a sucker for a good illustration. They fit with the story and gave me a better mental picture of the story and Maddy as a whole.

I absolutely adored Olly and Maddy together. They were so cute together. Everything was new to them, especially to Maddy, and it was fun watching them navigate a relationship, given Maddy’s condition. I expected Olly to be fascinated by Maddy, anyone would be, but I didn’t expect them to connect so well and I really appreciated that. Given his predicament, Maddy was good for him. Like a breath of fresh air.

I also didn’t see that twist coming. I was totally expecting a different kind of ending and when it first happened I thought it was a cop out, which pissed me off. But then I continued reading and discovered it was this totally different kind of thing and it blew my mind a bit once all was said and done.

What Didn’t Work for Me: Like I said, that twist threw me for a loop at first and it’s a big jarring, but once everything comes to light, it gets better. Also, there’s really not much going on and I could’ve used more in terms of Maddy’s diagnosis, but I guess that would’ve lessened the effects of the twist. I also would’ve liked more of Maddy’s past and of her family back when they were a foursome. I didn’t connect with her mother at all and even though I was sad for the losses, it was only for a second, so I didn’t connect on that level.

Final Verdict: I’d definitely give this book a try. It’s so different and even though not much happens, it’s pretty riveting. I couldn’t stop reading.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account