Young Adult Indie 487
Hearts and Crowns #2
Overall rating

Writing Style

Plot

Characters

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
EMMIE AND THE TUDOR QUEEN by Natalie Murray is the much-needed follow-up to the first book in this series. As it stands, Emmie has decided to go all-in with Nick, but unfortunately, just because the two of them have chosen each other, doesn’t mean the rest of the court, nobility, or country will support that. In fact, just the opposite happens, and Emmie finds herself in a very precarious position. Nick, try as he might, has to face the reality that there are certain things even he can’t protect Emmie from, and despite holding the highest position in the land, he can’t will everything to be as he wishes.

This sequel delves into the nitty-gritty of Emmie and Nick figuring out how to make their relationship work. Spoiler alert: it’s not super easy. This element is probably what I appreciate most about this book. Like Claire in OUTLANDER, Emmie is sure she’s found her match in the past, but unlike Claire, she’s unclear on whether that’s a good enough reason to stay there. This one-foot-in, one-foot-out feeling keeps Nick spiraling, and creates a fair deal of conflict. Even my heart couldn’t take the flip-flopping!

That being said, I enjoyed seeing Nick find all the ways he could to make Emmie comfortable in his time, most notably the construction of her jewelry workshop. While the events of the story understandably keep her out of there, I would’ve loved to see her whip out fantastic jewelry that redeemed her to the court in some small way and to see the couple enjoy a time of peace. Unfortunately, aside from fleeting moments, they’re not granted that. I also enjoyed the new additions to court with Emmie’s ladies. They have a fun and light dynamic that counterbalances the political manipulations happening outside of Emmie’s chambers.

Overall, EMMIE AND THE TUDOR QUEEN is a fantastic sequel that introduces realistic tension and obstacles, while simultaneously upping the romance in such a way that will make you really root for these two even in the most impossible circumstances. The ending cliff hanger is brutal and will leave you reaching for book three with no time to spare.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account