Middle Grade Fiction 396
Heartwarming Story About a Dog Finding His Family
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
ELMER AND THE TALENT SHOW by Danny Robertson & Ron Danta is the first in their children's book series inspired by real life rescue dogs. Here we meet Elmer, a ten year old dachshund who was severely mistreated and neglected by his former owners. Multiple surgeries later, Elmer doesn't look like other dogs, his tongue sticks out the side of his mouth, he needs special food, and he is anxious in new situations. However, Elmer loves to play and hopes to one day find his forever home. When the Cruz family moves to town, Elmer becomes a new member of their family.

What I Loved:
This is such a sweet story. I loved how it was told from Elmer's perspective. It gives the reader a new look on what we as humans do on a daily basis. Elmer's anxiety in new situations is relatable to kids who may also feel anxiety around strangers or when their routine is disrupted. It shows how he copes with it and how he adjusts to his new family. Seeing Elmer's actions through his eyes and understanding the reason behind those actions will help readers develop empathy towards their own animals and friends.

I also loved that the writers are rescue owners and that this story is based on a dog from their rescue. What they do is not easy, however how it is shown in the story will encourage young readers to learn more. Benny's initial reluctance at his parents bringing Elmer home when he was expecting a puppy is true to life. Yet how Benny bonds with the older dog is special.

Final Thoughts: ELMER AND THE TALENT SHOW is a heartwarming story about an old dog learning new tricks and finding his fur-ever family in the process.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account