Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Let's dig into EERIE, a YA Paranormal/Supernatural Romance novel. It is centered around a girl named Hailey, whose sister has been found brutally murdered. But that isn't all that's strange about her. She gets dreams at night, and monster hunts her by day. In the beginning, the book has captured my attention and I follow along its plot until I reach the end. And it isn't as much as a roller coaster as I thought it would be.

The perspective of the novel is told from third person. The book flips from narrator to narrator, and each one of them provides an unique look of the book's world. Hailey is the outsider, the one who has never really known the world of the supernatural/paranormal and provides the audience surrogate. Asher is an outworldly Envoy, whose motives are clear but actions are not. Finn, a former friend of Hailey's, is pulled by multiple strings, and his path is so muddled by chances, fate, and opportunity but lit up by love. Out of all these heads and perspectives, I prefer Finn the most, who is very complex but also the most human.

The story starts with a mystery and continues with the supernatural. Hailey herself is hunted by an immoral, immortal monster devoid of feelings but desperate enough to kill. The concept, the world building, the setting the book has is intriguing, and I would love the author to dive much deeper into the world. There's so many questions I have in my mind, and I'm unfortunately unable to gather any answers. But the author does a great job of diving into the smaller but also endearing details of the story.

There's a love triangle in this book. Of course, I have favorites (who doesn't?) and I have already told you who they are (Team Finn). Asher is an Envoy, who is said to be incapable of feeling anything. But he feels something for Hailey. Though Asher and Hailey's relationship remains to be a huge part of the book, I find Finn and Hailey much more fascinating thanks to its flawed, imperfect nature. Besides, the relationship of Fin and Hailey is much more equal when you compared to Asher and Hailey.

The plot largely centers around Hailey. For the exposition, it unfolds steadily as you go through the novel, and everything that the story has built up goes crazy in the climax. I freely admit that the ending is chaotic. Nothing is certain, and the book ends at a sudden, too sudden note. I'm left frantically flipping the pages for the answers once again.

Overall, EERIE is an unique novel about dreams, monsters, and feelings. Developed on a strange, almost dream-like world, EERIE is for those who enjoy romance with a dash of the forbidden.

Rating: Three out of Five
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account