Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I love me some good ol’ fashioned world development. Don’t even get me started on the complexities of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth, or J.K. Rowling’s developed magical world in the Harry Potter series, because you’ll need a Time-Turner to get back the time you spent listening to me go on about how much I loved the intricate details of each of these author’s worlds. Now I have a new world to chat about thanks to Patrick Matthews’s “Dragon Run.”

In “Dragon Run,” twelve-year-old Al and his friends are getting ready for Testing Day, the day that will determine the direction their lives will take from here on out. Testing Day assigns each person a rank from one to seven, with a higher rank meaning a better position a person has in society. Al’s Testing Day does not go quite as well as planned, catapulting readers into the adventure of the book. It’s all the details Matthews offers in Al’s adventures that really make this an interesting read.

Matthews introduces readers to new humanoid yet mythical species we’ve never seen before. There are the outrageously tall and extremely furry windwalkers who have the magical skills to manipulate the air. There are the broad-shouldered and long-limbed earthers who can claw through solid rock. There are the web-fingered and gilled waterfolk. All of these species play an important role in Al’s story and add new elements to the library of mythical creatures that we haven’t seen before.

Regardless of species, all creatures in “Dragon Run” must answer to dragons. Matthews’s take on dragons is fresh. Instead of being bloodthirsty beasts, these are power hungry and manipulative dragons who have convinced humans, waterfolk, windwalkers, and earthers that they were all created by dragons to do their bidding. Rather than intimidate people by sheer force, dragons have concocted an intricate mind game that borders on a religious cult in order to get other species to submit to their rules.

One of these rules is that only a select few are allowed to practice magic. The power of magic is activated by getting a special sort of tattoo, which is yet another cool detail in the world Matthews has created. Tattoos have a lot of significance in “Dragon Run,” which not only allow the use of magic, but also indicate rank and hometown of the person tattooed.

It’s Matthews’s little details like these that create a great big world, one in which I hope to be in again.
Good Points
Great new mythical species.
Interesting take on dragons.
A great big world full of intricate details.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account