Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
DINOSAURS BEFORE DARK by Mary Pope Osborne is the book that kicked off the classic series Magic Tree House. Here, Jenny Laird has adapted it to a graphic novel, giving it a modern upgrade but keeping all the classical fantasy adventure elements that made the series so popular. In this first installment, meet Jack and his sister Annie as they discover the tree house, its magical books, and go on their first adventure.

What I Loved:
Opening this book reminded me of the first time I read the series. I was instantly transported back to my second grade self, devouring one after another. Jack and Annie come alive in the illustrations, which depict much of the action. The typography and paneling are beautifully done, capturing the essence of the Magic Tree House. I couldn't wait to share it with my 10 year old who already loves the series.
Jack and Annie's first adventure traveling back to a land of dinosaurs is exciting and educational. I enjoyed seeing it depicted in this format. It added, rather than detracted from the story. The fantasy element is easily explained through both the illustrations and words. The visual cues of Jack holding the book about dinosaurs and then his audible wish to be there prior to the tree house spinning them back in time adds a sense of wonderment to the story and movement on page.

What Left Me Wanting More:
Honestly nothing! Laird does a wonderful job adapting this book into a graphic novel. I can't wait to see more of them.

Final Thoughts:
Dinosaurs Before Dark is an exciting, fantasy adventure that kids of all ages will enjoy. The easy to read format coupled with the beautiful paneling will make this appealing to early independent readers giving them confidence that they can read and understand it on their own. Highly recommend!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account