Review Detail

4.5 39
Young Adult Fiction 551
Delirum by Lauren Oliver | Emotional Rollercoaster!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
To tell you the truth I have been pondering over what to write in this review. I loved it, that much I do know, but I don’t know how to tell you my feelings about this book. Cause the truth was, I was totally overwhelmed. I didn’t really expect to like this book, so imagine my surprise when I didn’t just like it, but when I placed on my list of favourite books.

Lauren Oliver’s writing in this book is truly incredible. I found myself totally swept into the story, the writing is very good and descriptive. You are included in the transformation Lena undergoes throughout the novel and I love how she matured. The twists in the plot are really good at well. I thought I had the entire story figured out, and then: BOOM! Something happened that had my mouth gaping open.

Another thing that had me immersed in the book were the way relationships are explored. Mainly the relationship between Lena and Hanna, and the relationship between Lena and Alex. The strong bond between best friends and the bond formed by love. The relationship between Lena and Alex is smoldering and passionate, and Alex opens her eyes to a different world. They have the odds stacked against them but that makes it that much interesting to see how they won’t let these odds stop them.

Then the ending… Phew! What to say about the ending. It was gut wrenching, I can tell you that much! The waterworks were comparable to my experience reading The Fault in Our Stars. I couldn’t stop thinking about this cliff-hanger for quite a few days. I pondered some more about Lena’s character, and of course Alex’s character as well. Aside from that I also thought some more about the whole ‘Love is a disease’ thing. It became more chilling every time I thought about it. I couldn’t imagine living in a society like that. It also made me realize why I bother with love. Because it can be the most beautiful thing in the world, but it can be oh so painful. I wouldn’t want to not experience it though, because in the end love is a experience that defines us and makes us stronger. The way Oliver described the love between Lena and Alex was beautifully painted.

Furthermore, at the beginning of each chapter. There are quotes from different government approved books, including the “Book of Shhh,” an abbreviation for “The Safety, Health, and Happiness Handbook.” I really liked this, because it gave some insight of the dystopian world presented. The only thing I would’ve liked was more insight to the history and how this world Lena lives in came to be.

In conclusion, I loved this book. It is beautifully written and an emotional read. It left me with a big ass book hangover when I finished it!
Good Points
Good writing!
Great Characters
Descriptive
Story keeps you on your toes
Pretty Cover
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account