Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Dash, a Strand Bookstore frequenter, is perusing the shelves when he finds a red moleskin journal. He did what anyone would do. He opened it. Inside he finds the following note: Ive left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you dont, put the book back on the shelf, please. Thus starts a literary romance of sorts between Dash and Lily.

Its Christmas time. Dashs divorced parents have each flown the coop with their significant others. He managed to stay at home by telling each parent he was staying at the others house. Since they dont talk to each other, its an easy lie. Lilys parents, on the other hand, are taking a second honeymoon in Fiji. She is sharing her home with her brother Langston and his boyfriend Benny.

Dash turns the page and follows the instructions. When he is done, he leaves the journal for Lily. The journal goes back and forth daily over the Christmas holiday, each time revealing a little bit about each other and each time forcing them to do something funny or serious or weird.

In Dash and Lilys Book of Dares Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have created a laugh out loud romance populated with great characters, ranging from Dashs friend Boomer to Boris, the bullmastiff (more pony than dog) who Lily is supposed to be walking but who is walking her (maybe dragging her is a better term). Dash and Lily are real characters (they could be your friends) and you want them to get together. Will they, is the question.

Since Im a Strand aficionado, the thought of having the store to myself (youll know what I mean after you read the book) is so exciting. And the descriptions of the chocolate desserts at Max Brenner, a block away from the Strand, will make your mouth water.

I really liked Nick & Norahs Infinite Playlist and I thought Naomi and Elys No Kiss List was good, but I must confess that Dash & Lilys Book of Dares tops my list of favorites. So, as I said up front, I dare you to not like this book. I double dare you!!!!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account